12. Killed two classmates with one word

Daniel's pov...

This has got to be one of the most awkward situations i've ever been in. Why, just why did the person who's suppose to be tutoring me for god knows how long, have to also be the person who likes me? I didn't want to do this anyways, but this was a sign of Keith's appreciation and concern towards me, I couldn't let him down like that, i'm not that heartless. I wish I had work today, and I really really wish that Keith didn't have practice today. I know all we're doing is studying together and it's not that big a deal, but we haven't spoken since last time, and I still feel a lingering tension between the two of us.

Keith looks between the two of us with a proud looking smile on his face. If only he knew the truth, that Ruben actually likes me, I bet those same pair of lips would be frowning, or possibly even angry.

"Danny, Ruben, Ruben, Danny. I guess i'll leave the rest to you guys because I gotta leave for practice. You guys can decide where you want the location to be, bye." Keith says in a hurry, maybe his coach gets mad if the players are late? I don't know, but I really wish he would've been able to stay longer.

"Umm...I guess we can just go to my house, do you have a ride?" I ask, scratching the back of my neck as I cringe.

"No, I usually ride the bus since my brothers too busy to pick me up most days." Ruben says, and in all honesty, I didn't want nor need him to tell me that much, but instead of opening my mouth with a chance of getting beaten up, I just stay silent and smile with a nod. He's still kinda intimidating even if he's not doing anything, he's always wearing a poker face. I feel bad for thinking this way, because I know the ones who are quiet, closeted, and look bored most of the times are always the sweetest ones, but I can't help but have these types of thoughts when he's always staring at me.

"My moms over there, we can give you a ride!" I exclaim, grabbing his wrist and dragging him all the way to my moms car. At lunch yesterday, I discussed this more with Keith and I ended up agreeing, so of course i've already told my mom. She was so happy that she even insisted on paying Ruben, but I told her it was unnecessary and finally talked her out of it after thirty minutes of going back and forth with each other.

No, i'm not going to take advantage of Ruben and have him teach me for nothing, but my first priority is not learning. It's becoming his friend. There's too many possibilities for me to even guess why he pushes everyone away, but I don't want to give up too easily now that I got him back.

When we make it to my moms car, I open the door for Ruben, gesturing for him to get in before I join him and close the door.

"Hi baby, how was school?" My mom asks and I sigh as I set my bag down on the floor.

"Same as always, boring. I got to miss a whole two something months of the year, and yet it still feels like it's moving by so slowly!" I said.

"That's even more reason to get good grades and graduate. College is a lot more fun than high school, you'll feel more free once you get there. Honey, thank you so much for tutoring my son, let me know if he causes any trouble towards you." My mom said to Ruben, but she still had no idea that I was never planning to go to college. Both of my brothers went to college, so she's never had a kid that hasn't gone, but i'm hoping she'll at least be understanding and support my decision.

"Will do. And it's no problem, as long as he's not too far behind in his studies, this tutoring will feel like wind hitting your face for a split second." Ruben replied with a smile before turning to meet my eyes and winking at me. I look away from him, but that wasn't enough to stop the blush that had already reached my cheeks.

Maybe I should tell Keith about Ruben, I refuse to be in the middle of a unknown love triangle, at least not while i'm trying to get my grades up. Besides, it's better to tell him now rather than let him find out later and be even more pissed than he's going to be. If I was frightened by him when I first saw him, imagine how he'll look when angry.