5. Just Say Yes

Daniel's pov...

"So, honey, how has work been? You haven't been having any trouble with the kids have you? I know they can be difficult." My mom questions, slicing the turkey sandwiches into the shape of a triangle with a long, bread knife. She packs it in my sandwich box, before sighing and turning to face me with a significant smile of her face. She rests her elbow on the cold, marble island top with one arm, tucking her brown hair behind her ears with the other, while also giving me just enough time to muse what I should say. I've been working at the daycare for four weeks now, and it's been great. I never imagined myself liking to be around kids, because they're usually annoying, which sometimes, they can be when i'm in a mood, but other than that, I enjoy seeing them most days and getting to play around with them.

"It's been great mom. Now I know that in the future, I want to have kids." I said, my mom chuckling. I hop off the leather seat, successfully landing, and not falling to the ground. I grab my sandwich box, taking it over to my daycare bag and stuffing it inside. Usually I don't work on Wednesdays, my work days are Monday, Thursday, and Friday, but one of my coworkers called in saying that her son was having his surgery today, and since my boss claims the kids like me the most, she called me in to watch them today.

My mom wasn't fond of me leaving school early for a simple job, but she was quick to understand as I notified her about the surgery. If i'm being honest, i've never cared much for school. Of course I want to pass and get it over with, but I could work at a fast food place, and as long as I make money, I could do just as much as a person with a more advanced job could, they'd just be getting paid a lot higher than me, at a quicker paste. I haven't planned far into my future, and i'm clueless about what curriculum I want to study in, let alone what my dream job is. I'm too insecure to think about shit like that.

"When the time comes, you'll wish you could take your words back. That's how it was with me." I scoff at my moms words, wishing just for a second that time would freeze, and I could slyly smack my mom upside the head with her never having to know. As my mom bursts into a fit of laughter, not knowing I had walked over to her, I start to tamper with her wiry curly hair, my hands moving on their own as I twist and braid strands of her slightly frizzy hair from the lack of times she combs it. Continuing to chuckle, mom slaps my hands away from her hair, and I retract my hand further back, rubbing my middle that turned red from the stinging feeling.

"So you're saying i'm a mistake?" I ask my mom, and the grin on her face tells me everything I needed to know. Attempting to walk away, my mom grabs my wrist, ruffling my hair before placing a brief kiss on my forehead. My immediate reaction was to smile, so that's what I do, letting a giggle escape as my mom looks at me in awe. The same way I look at my kitten when he's not tearing my pillows or shoes. Biscuit has gotten a little bigger, he's growing so fast that I can barely catch up. One day, I left my house with him the size of a mouse, and the next, he's almost reached the size of a full adult cat. I'm happy that he's growing, at least he'll be responsible and my parents won't have to go buying me new pillows almost every week. But with good convictions, there's always a bad result, -for me I should say-, that being he won't be a little bundle of energy, and he won't care about me anymore. Once he's an adult, he's going to turn independent, neglecting me and leaving me all alone. It's how it's always been, it's how the people around me have always been.

My face frowns, shoulders sinking at the sudden dejecting memory, as my mom's face becomes alarmed and she gently grabs ahold of my shoulders with a face of worry. "Honey what's wrong? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." Says my mom, slight panic in her voice, as her shoulders tense and she caresses my right arm in comfort. I wave my hands around indecisively, with a small smile on my face, dismissing my moms comment. "No mom, it has nothing to do with what you, well what you didn't say. I was thinking about- it doesn't matter, just forget it, i'll be leaving now, I don't want to be late for the bus." I scuffle my moms hand off me and walk to the door, grabbing my bag before heading out the door and walking down to the stop sign of my house street, where the bus should either almost be, or already be at.