4. Give Gifts, Receive Surprises

Daniel's pov...

I grasp onto the small gift bag that I had in my hand. Right now, I was about to give that one tall guy an apology gift. It's been two weeks since I first laid eyes on him, and throughout those two weeks, I constantly kept screwing up with him, and doing things like making him trip, accidentally hitting him with my bag as I tried putting it on, and even spilling my drink on him at the cafeteria. It seems as though everywhere I go, he's always there, lurking behind me and watching me closely, I know he probably doesn't want me five feet near him, but I really feel that I need to give him this gift, to make up for everything i've put him through so far. I have no idea where he is, or where any of his classes are, but i've already planned everything.

It's at the exact time I reach my locker that he's always passing by, so this time, i'll just stop him, hand him the gift, and run away. He should be able to figure out why I gave it to him on his own, all he has to do is put the pieces together, it's not complicated. I already know i'll be too embarrassed to stay and talk, after all, he is a senior, and never have I ever talked to a student older than me. He wouldn't even be able to understand what i'm saying from how much i'll stutter, I shouldn't diss myself like this, but I won't sit here and try to convince myself otherwise when I know it's the truth.

I don't bother to open my locker and put my books up, instead, I look around and wait until I see him, I refuse to miss my opportunity. It felt like I was standing there forever, eyes scanning the hallways left and right, nervously, making me seem like a evil yet obedient robot, looking for the one person who I was ordered to kill, as I waited for him to surface through the halls. But I soon see him walking down the hall towards my direction, and all by himself. Why does he always seem so lonely? Every time I see him, he's never talking to anyone, is he a forlorn like me? Or does he focus more on getting to his class rather than stopping to talk with his "friends"? Shuffling over to him, I hold the bag out in front of him, as he looks at the small, turquoise bag that had a pink heart in the center, with a confused face.

"Why are you giving this to me?" he questions, raising an eyebrow, as my face heats up. I couldn't bring myself to say anything to him, so I push the bag to his chest and shamefully run away, just like I visualized it going. I run all the way to my next class, thankfully not bumping into any of the hundreds of students in the hallway. I sigh of relief as I plop down in my seat and lay my head down on the desk.

I nearly jump out of my seat, head darting up when I feel hefty arms convolve around my shoulders, squeezing them as if wanting to strangle me. I was getting ready to punch the bastard, when I realize it was just my cousin, Alvin, who I recently saw at the Christmas get together our family hosted. "Danny! What are you doing here?" Alvin asks, excited. Me and Alvin didn't live very far from each other, we live in the same state, so i'm not surprised that he goes to this school. Although, I know there's a school way closer to his house that I thought he went to, we never say what schools we go to because i'm just now previously starting. "You knew my legs were healing, my mom wanted me to go back to school." I said, pushing Alvin's arms off me as a smile grows in.

"I knew, but I thought you weren't ready to start walking regularly again. How have they been?" he questions.

"I've made progress! It's been six months, so obviously i'm starting to grow back into them. I still struggle sometimes tho and i'll fall to the ground, but i've been fine overall." I explain, and Alvin nods at me, checking the clock hung on the wall, I wasn't sure whether it was the right time or not, because those usually never work.

"How long have you been here?"

"Three weeks today. Hey, how have I never seen you until today? We should've ran into each other by now." I asked. Alvin starts to awkwardly scratch the back of his neck as if what he would say was no good. "About that, I got suspended for," Alvin moves down closer to my ear, whispering in it, "being caught making out with someone." he said, and my eyes widened in surprise as I slap his arm.