10. Watery Weekend With You

Daniel's pov...

The weekend came quicker than I had imagined, quicker than i'd like it to. I don't understand why the universe is so determined to keep me and Keith glued together, it felt like just yesterday was Monday, the day he asked me out. But then again, I have been cynical and thinking about this trip all week, it was one of the only things on my mind, which is probably why this week went by so quickly. I am excited, it's not as if I don't want to go, i'm just a little nervous is all. I feel like such a hypocrite for judging Keith on how nervous he was when meeting my mom, because i'm feeling the same way about his parents. I've never had to introduce myself to anyone, I spent six years in my house almost every single day, getting use to all these new changes is making me anxious.

I've always been one to put things off until the very day the task needs to be finished, which is why right now, i'm stuffing clothes in a duffle bag with Keith only twenty minutes away from my house. This was nothing major though, it's just one night, I don't need to pack my whole wardrobe anyways, just next day clothes and pajamas. I'm a procrastinator, I admit, that's the reason I have no higher than a B in most of my classes. I happened to remember to do my english homework that one time Alvin asked for it, and got lucky to not have been the one to forget. Alvin might be fearless, lazy, and inwardly sensitive, but he was no fool and he's a good kid when in school, I was nothing but surprised when he asked me for my homework, and wanting to see him get in trouble, I refused him without any regrets.

I hear a knock at my door, and the groggy yet gentle voice of my dad, who was able to come home last night. Knowing that my dad was asking permission to come in, I let him know to wait a minute, as I didn't have any pants on. I knew Keith would be here early, but what I wasn't expecting was him to text me at seven o'clock in the morning, letting me know that they were on their way to my house. Had I known they would come this early, I wouldn't have stayed up late last night binge watching cartoons. The river was only an hour away from my house, by the time we arrive it will most likely only be nine, who needs to go canoeing that early? What will we do for the rest of the day if we start so early? Maybe I was just thinking too deeply into this, and they already have everything planned out, I shouldn't doubt his parents.

Slipping on a pair of athletic pants, I open the door for my dad, who stumbles in, since he was leaning against the door. My dad uses my shoulders to help balance himself back out, before patting my head and leaning against the frame of my door. "Morning Danny, why are you up so early? It's the weekend." My dad peeps behind me, although he didn't even have to do that, since I was barely in his way. He eyes my messy bed, that had a few clothes piled up on it from me deciding what I should pack. In the end, I chose a green t-shirt, that Liam had got from a summer camp a few years back, and though he was in 7th grade at that time, it was still slightly big on me. And some jean shorts, since it's been sufficiently hot outside.

I should wear that outfit today, but I don't want to ruin it on the canoes, so instead I chose to wear nike, dri fit pants and a white shirt that I don't care for.

"Mom didn't tell you? I'm going to a river to go canoeing with my friend today. They're on their way." I said, walking back to my bag to continue packing.

"This early? Why would you go to a river this early? The suns barely out." My dad raises an eyebrow and I shrug my shoulders, zipping the duffle bag up and throwing it by the door temporarily.

"Don't ask me. Ask his parents. Actually, don't do that, it's too embarrassing." I sigh and stuff my tooth brush, toothpaste, deodorant, and hair brush into my moms old see through cosmetic bag.

"You seem kinda edgy, what's the matter?" he asks, walking closer to me and taking a seat on my bed, looking at me forbearingly. Why is everyone always able to sense when i'm timid? Do I really make it that obvious?