Chapter 13: Baghra's Plea

Start from the beginning

Her eyebrow quirked.

"I only know what the history books told me. I had no idea that the Darkling served the crown during this period!"

"So he does continue to deceive. Look..."

"No, you look! The Darkling does some terrible things and will do more. But I cannot intervene with what is supposed to take place. The timeline..."

"Exactly!"

Now I was confused.

"What?"

"Have you ever considered that there was a reason you were sent back? Maybe you were meant to change the timeline? Right the wrongs of your father..."

"Enough! Enough. It's not that simple. What if I..."

"Save the sun summoner's life? Stop a war?"

"I could change the future. I could write myself out of existence. Change the amount of power Grisha have..."

"What do you mean?"

"He did it. Your son. My father. He gave us a future."

She let me continue.

"He became the tsar, yes, but a damn good one. Grisha have never been celebrated more. Never been more free."

"Did he gain all the amplifiers?"

"Not exactly..."

"What does that mean?"

"I can't explain it, Baghra. Who knows what will change if I tell you what happens. But I can assure you, it does work out in the end."

The ancient woman sighed.

"I'm sorry. But I have to let things unfold the way they are supposed to. All I need to focus on is getting home before I change anything else."

She conceded.

"I really hope you know what you're doing, girl."

"I don't," I huffed.

Well, you better work it out. There are a lot of lives at stake."

"You think I don't know that?"

"I wonder what goes on in that pretty little head of yours."

"You think I'm pretty?" I smirked.

In response, she gave me her signature scowl.