Chapter 22

J'onn was currently standing at Malefic's bedside in the infirmary while he watched Kara interact with the rest of her family while she waited for her father to wake up, since he of all people knew how happy she had to be right now, since he knew what it was like to be reunited with a father that was long thought to be dead. Which reminded him that Malefic wasn't the only member of his family who needed to be saved. He still needed to get to Mars to rescue his father, preferably with Malefic in tow.

Anyways, speaking of his brother, J'onn's attention was immediately drawn towards the sounds of his brother waking up.

"J'onn." Malefic said as he opened his eyes.

"Malefic, it's good to see you again my brother." J'onn said.

"So, you really do remember me." Malefic said a bit distrustfully.

"I do and I am so sorry that I ever erased you from our people's memories, but you didn't see father after you were sent away to the Phantom Zone. He was devastated and I did what I felt I needed to do in order to help him feel better. But ever since I recovered my memories of you, don't ask how, but I did and I've felt terrible about it ever since. Especially since I now remember that the only reason you sided with the White Martians is because we left you no choice. We never should've ostracized you and hidden you away because you were different." J'onn said.

"How can I know you're telling me the truth?" Malefic asked, since he wanted more than anything to believe that his big brother was telling him the truth, but he didn't know how.

"Because I'm going to let you into my mind. Let you see everything." J'onn said, since he had more than one intention for that, since he knew that this merging of minds would also restore Malefic's memories of the old reality.

"How do you know I won't kill you as soon as I enter your mind?" Malefic asked.

"I don't know, but I'm taking a chance and trusting you." J'onn said as he allowed Malefic to enter his mind, allowing him to see all his memories of both realities.

"What is going on?" Malefic asked as J'onn proceeded to use the link Malefic had already established the second he entered his mind to restore his memories.

"Does that explain things?" J'onn asked as Malefic pulled away.

"Yes it does. It explains why you let me into your head. Because I've already been in it once." Malefic said, confirming that J'onn's efforts have succeeded in restoring his brother's memories.

"Yes and I'm very happy that we didn't have to go through the drama we did before." J'onn said and Malefic nodded.

"Also, is it true that our father is still alive on Mars?" Malefic asked and J'onn nodded.

"Yes, being held prisoner by the White Martians." J'onn said and Malefic sighed.

"My actions led to my own father's incarceration to a world where he thought he was last of his kind. A fate far worse than death. And my actions led to the deaths of my own nieces." Malefic said, truly horrified as the gravity of what he'd done sunk in.

"But now you have a chance to not only help end the war on Mars, but also reconcile with our father. And once I'm sure things here have calmed down, we'll leave for Mars to save him. I promise." J'onn said.

"Or you can just leave now." Alex said as she joined them.

"Alex, I'm surprised you're not at Kara's side." J'onn said.

"I'm giving Kara a chance to introduce Lena and Esme to her father uninterrupted." Alex said.

"Alex, are you sure you want me to leave now?" J'onn asked and Alex nodded.