Chapter 12

"How the hell did we not know that Brainy was being held in our basement this whole time?" Alex asked as she, Kara, Lena, Kelly, Nia and J'onn stood in the room that contained the cryo chamber Brainy was being held in.

"Henshaw went to great lengths to make sure that this is one prisoner who was kept off book, meaning that whatever he was doing to Brainy, it was something he knew would get him in trouble." J'onn said.

"How long has he been here for?" Kara asked as Nia checked the files.

"Nearly 10 years. Henshaw had him here even longer than he knew you or Kara existed, J'onn." Nia said

"I'm just trying to figure out how we never found out about this place. After all, it had to take up the budget to keep this place operational." Alex said.

"Henshaw was very good at keeping things under wraps. He must've been funding this place with some offshore accounts that were never discontinued after I took over, simply because I never knew about it, since Henshaw disappeared before I could see his memories." J'onn said.

"Speaking of which, when are we going to find him and my dad?" Alex asked.

"Soon, but first, let's focus on getting Brainy out of this thing." Kara promised.

"I'm still trying to figure out how to safely disengage this system, but it's proving to be difficult." Lena said.

"How can this tech be so hard for you to decrypt since it's from the early 2000s?" Nia asked.

"Because it's clear that Henshaw used some kind of alien tech to keep Brainy in stasis. He clearly realized how dangerous Brainy is. Probably one of the most dangerous prisoners he ever kept." Lena explained.

"How long do you think it'll take to get him out?" Nia asked.

"I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out how exactly Henshaw was able to keep Brainy preserved without him taking control of the tech in the facility. Unless." Lena said as she got on one of the computers and confirmed her theory.

"Unless what?" Kara asked her girlfriend.

"That bastard. He's using Brainy's systems to power the whole base." Lena said.

"Wait, what?" Alex asked.

"Think about it. Coluans are really just walking, talking supercomputers. Henshaw somehow managed to hack into Brainy and using this chamber, he was somehow able to route Brainy's AI throughout the entire base." Lena said.

"That son of a bitch. Can you fix him?" Nia asked.

"Maybe, but until I'm able to transfer the AI back into his body, we can't risk removing him from the chamber, since it's the only thing keeping him alive." Lena said as she continued working.

"Any idea why Brainy's skin is green instead of blue?" Kelly asked.

"My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that his dots are gone." J'onn said as they watched Lena work.

"Hang on, okay, this might be alien tech, but it's still dependent on early 21st century systems." Lena said as she continued typing on the keyboard.

"What are you doing?" Nia asked.

"I'm shutting down the base's AI and before you panic, all that will do is cause it to return to its source, which is Brainy and essentially trigger a system reset for him, healing him and making his condition stable enough for J'onn restore his memories so he doesn't attack us the second he wakes up." Lena said as she finished the AI shut down and sure enough, they saw Brainy's vitals begin to improve as his AI began to return to his body.