Chapter 5

Later on that night, Kara was trying and struggling to fall asleep due to so many thoughts racing through her mind. Well two in particular. The first one was what she and Alex had talked about before her sister had left. She had to admit, the idea of dating other girls had crossed her mind before, but she'd never given it much thought, but now she was and it was appealing. After all, her being with men had always ended badly, starting Ms. Grant's son Adam Foster, then James, then Mon-El, plus there was the attraction Winn had had on her and she was pretty sure that William Dey had also been developing a crush on her as well in the old reality, but honestly, after what happened with Mon-El, she had thought it was the universe telling her that she was meant to live her life alone. But maybe in reality, she'd just misunderstood and she wasn't supposed to end up with a man. It was something she'd need to think more about when she wasn't trying to fall asleep, and while putting that to the back of her mind for now, it didn't make it any easier for her to fall asleep.

The second thing that was keeping her up was much more pressing and that was how close she'd come to losing Esme on literally the same exact day she'd found out about her and even though she'd only known Esme for a day, she couldn't imagine living without her little girl. Just another reason to be thankful to Lena, since while she would've gone to save Esme regardless, at least thanks to Lena, she had a suit, which meant she could protect her identity and by that, her family by being able to become Supergirl right away.

However, Kara was pulled out of her thoughts when she heard crying coming from Esme's room, which honestly shouldn't surprise her as she quickly jumped out of bed and supersped into Esme's room to find her daughter tossing and thrashing around in her bed.

"Mommy, help me." Esme cried in her sleep and Kara quickly sat on the bed and pulled Esme into her arms.

"It's okay baby, wake up, mommy's got you." Kara whispered softly as she gently rubbed Esme's back until the young girl woke up and proceeded to throw her arms around her mother.

"Mommy, I dreamed I was back on that bus." Esme cried and Kara sighed, since she should've seen this coming and knew that she'd need to have Kelly start working with Esme as quickly as possible to help her.

"Do you want to sleep with mommy tonight?" Kara asked her and Esme nodded her head quickly as she quickly grabbed her zebra, the only thing she had from her birth family and that had been with her throughout all the foster homes before Kara picked her up and carried her back to her bedroom and laid her down on her bed before climbing in next to her and smiled slightly as she felt and watched her daughter curl up into her side as Kara wrapped an arm around Esme and finally felt herself fall asleep.

The next morning, Esme woke up to the smell of bacon and waffles, her favorite, causing her to jump out of bed and race out of her mother's bedroom to find her mother in the kitchen, making breakfast.

"Breakfast smells good." Esme said and Kara smiled at her.

"It's your favorite." Kara said.

"Am I going to school today?" Esme asked.

"No, you're not. Due to what happened yesterday, your whole class is being excused from school for the rest of the week." Kara said.

"Is Aunt Alex coming to watch me then?" Esme asked.

"Tomorrow she will. But today it's just you and me. I got my boss to give me today off too." Kara said and Esme grinned, since she rarely got full days with her mom due to Cat Grant, or as Esme called her, the strict lady, though she did seem nice when she was around.

"What are we doing?" Esme asked and Kara smiled as she prepared a plate for Esme.

"Well, I was thinking maybe we could spend today at the zoo." Kara said with a grin, since she knew that the zoo was one of Esme's favorite places in the city.

"Yay." Esme said happily as she began digging into her breakfast, right as Kara's phone rang.

"One second sweetie." Kara said as she answered her phone after seeing it was J'onn.

"So, why haven't you come by yet?" Kara asked when she answered and she could hear J'onn's chuckle on the other end.

"I've been busy travelling the country, restoring the memories of our allies. I just finished in Gotham and I'm heading back to National City now, but I do want to let you know that last night, I paid a visit to Ms. Luthor about her allegiance and Alex and I are actually meeting with her about some more technical details regarding the Superfriends and I thought you might like to come." J'onn said.

"And under different circumstances I would." Kara said as she looked over at her daughter.

"Esme." J'onn said.

"Yeah, I took the day off work today and she has the rest of the week off school, so I promised her a mother-daughter day after what happened yesterday." Kara said.

"I completely understand, I just wanted to give you the option to be there today, but don't worry, I'm sure we'll get everything in order for you." J'onn said and Kara smiled.

"Thank you and I expect both you and Lena here tonight for game night." Kara said and J'onn chuckled.

"I'll make sure we're both there." J'onn assured her.

"Good. Oh, and Nia should be joining you, since I handed off my interview with Lena to her to get Ms. Grant to agree to let me have today off." Kara said.

"I'll make sure to let Lena know." J'onn said as he hung up.

"Is everything okay? Esme asked, a bit worried that mother daughter day was going to get put on hold.

"Yes, everything's fine, now hurry up and finish eating so we can get to the zoo. After all, you know how popular the zebras are." Kara said, since the zebras were Esme's favorite animal at the zoo.

The little girl quickly nodded and Kara swore she accidentally tapped into her mimicry powers that caused her to use her mother's super speed to finish her breakfast quickly.

"I'll go get dressed." Esme said as she rushed towards her room, at normal speed, since Esme could never retain the powers she mimicked for very long and Kara rolled her eyes, but smiled at her daughter's excitement, which was a bit infectious.