"Okay, but what could really happen?" Marc asked.

I laughed sharply. "Re-writing the very mythology we are. If I bond with her, then what of the woman I am foretold to have children with? What of Ragnarok? What of the Fae line? The variables are unfathomable and the Council of the Gods would never allow either of us to bond. I have an assigned role, but her, no, she would be put to death surely. Her life means nothing to the Council or the Fates compared to their fucking cosmic plan." I was shaking when I finished speaking. The gravity of my words hung in the air around us.

"Fuck," Luke's voice was a low whisper. "That's why you won't touch her," his gaze met mine. "Better to never confirm the connection than to suffer both of you knowing."

I nodded. "I won't risk her life. Not now, not ever." The conversation was dropped.

Less than an hour later, we found ourselves in a large chamber room sitting around an ornate table with high-back chairs. Mistress Thrain stood as all eyes focused on her. "Eveleen, I know you have already met most of the council, but let me introduce the rest of your group to them as well. Gentlemen, our council has representatives from the major supernatural communities. As you know, I'm Mistress Thrain and I represent the witch community, I go from my far left: Alpha Doran stands for the werewolves, you already know Jace who is the vampire representative, Master Orak is the wizard representative, Zura is an elder Fae, Ninura is an elemental spirit that represents several elemental groups, and of course, Quin represents the demon factions. Would you be so kind as to introduce your bonded?"

Eveleen stood, "From the far right: North Taylor, Luke Taylor, Axel Toma, Marc Weiland, Brandon Henshaw, Corey Henshaw, Raven Ravenstahl, Silas Korba, Victor Morgan, Gabriel Coleman, Owen Blackbourne, Dr. Sean Greene, Kota Lee, Nathan Griffen, and Loki Laufeyson, but I have no doubt each of you are already familiar with Loki." Fuck, did she just include me in her bonded or was she just listing our names? She held my gaze for only a moment before turning back to the council.

"Why is he here?" Master Orak demanded, pointing to me. I had a sudden urge to punch the old wizard.

"I was their cosmic taxi if you will," I replied before she could. "Due to the intensity of the attack on Eveleen, I felt it imperative to get her to the safety of your Council immediately." I didn't make an effort to hide my sarcasm at the term safety.

He continued to eye me suspiciously. "Child, how was he able to attack you so viciously?" Zura asked

I watched as she steeled her shoulders, "Phineas. He pulled me into a dream realm," she pulled down the front of her blouse showing the black tendrils that were once again threatening to spread, and continued, "he plunged his hand into my chest and cracked the ruby, then pushed me into the Shadow abyss."

"The abyss," Quin hissed, "how did you survive? A mere witch?" Curious, not all of them know her identity. I wonder who does?

She turned to me, her eyes filled with emotions that tugged at my heart and soul, then spoke, "Loki. He allowed Sean to channel his magic to save me, and I thank him for it." I bowed my head to her, fighting the urge to wrap her in my arms and take her far away.

"Then we owe you our thanks as well, Loki," Zura said with a knowing glint in her eyes.

"Humph, still sounds suspicious to me," Orak gruffed.

"What exactly sounds suspicious?" Owen asked in his diplomatic tone. For a human, he was quite astute.

"All this fuss over a witch, it just seems far-fetched for a creature like Erebus to go to such links," the wizard scoffed. I watched as Eveleen seemed to have a silent conversation with Mistress Thrain before nodding.

"Zura, see to the wards. Doran, secure the doors," the old witch began to chant, sealing the room. Her eyes met mine - keep an eye on the room, Trickster. I nodded slightly. Eveleen stood at full height, closed her eyes, and dropped her human glamour. I felt my heart skip. If I thought she was beautiful before, I was mistaken. Her chestnut hair swayed when her wings moved, and her eyes were a vibrant purple as she met the gaze of the wizard.

"This is why he is so interested, Master Orak. He was promised the Princess of Faire by Phineas without my knowledge" Her voice was soft but carried across the room easily.

Zura, Ninura, and even Quin gasped audibly and fell to their knees murmuring - your highness. "How? We thought you dead after the Queen died," Zura whispered.

"I was kidnapped by the Daghishat and raised within their walls until Mistress Thrain and Alpha Doran rescued me." She turned her focus back to Orak, "I too wondered why I was so special, Master Orak. I did not learn of my parents' true identities until just recently. Apparently, Phineas and the coven made a deal with Erebus for power if they gave me to him. He wants a way to claim rights to Faire and its magic."

Quin stepped closer and I saw all fourteen men tense, ready to attack. "Your Highness, may I see the site of the infection?" He held his head slightly bowed as he waited for her response. She nodded and unbuttoned her blouse a bit. He did not touch her skin but hovered his hand over the area. There was a feeling of static electricity in the air around them. His eyes grew wide, "It's calling out to the shadows and demons. They are near."

She met his gaze, "I know Quin. It will get stronger every day. Will it harm you?" She's facing death or enslavement, and she's asking a demon if he's okay. Damn this woman is beyond belief.

He shook his head slowly, "For now, I am fine, but I will admit that if I remain in your presence too long it might sway me. It will affect anyone who is demon or shadow-influenced. Those of weaker strength will show themselves sooner rather than later." He walked towards Victor, "You will be at risk soon as well. Typhon's dark nature will draw you to claim her." He turned back to the other council members, "That's what it wants. It wants to claim her, infect her with darkness and lead him to her." He shook his head as if trying to clear his thoughts.

We were all so focused on Quin that we had not noticed Orak coming closer to her until Kota growled and shifted. He stood before her, jaws snapping as the wizard's eyes turned blood red, and lunged. In an instant, I along with several others lunged for him, "Get her out of here," I yelled. The large Russian grabbed her and busted out of the room to where I didn't know.

Orak tried to follow him, his form becoming almost non-corporeal, black tendrils that looked like those on her chest swirled around him. Our spells and fire had no effect on him as he began to move past us. The twins moved in front of the door and knelt as their bodies began to glow with the light of the sun. When they stood, their eyes were burning and they held their hands out as sunlight filled the chamber, causing the creature to turn to ash before our eyes. Brandon and Corey stood for a moment, returning to normal then swayed, and fell to the floor unconscious. Sean and Axel ran to Corey, checking him for injuries, while North cradled Brandon in his arms speaking softly to him.

Even here she isn't safe. Damned be the consequences. I've had enough. It's time to end this.

Author's Notes:  Ohhh....Loki's pissed off now!