Chapter Ninety-Three -

mostly fan and self-service this chapter lol

VERNON DURSLEY

(AN EXPECTED CHAPTER AND WITH SOME TW: EXPLICIT VIOLENCE)

The wards were hard to break. Though Regulus hated to admit that much, the Lestrange family was smart, cautious and very aware of the danger of the world they were living in and, with their wealth being one of the most important things in their lives for them, the wards were carefully constructed to last for decades without re-strengthening them.

"You should take a break and eat, Young Master Regulus," said Kreacher, standing in the middle of this bedroom, watching worriedly as Regulus tried, once more to break the small ward he had made around a bird feather in his desk. "Master Regulus has been here for four hours."

"I'm working, Kreacher," dismissed Regulus.

"But Miss Anne told Kreacher that Master Regulus shouldn't work for more than four hours straight."

Regulus froze, putting his wand down and turning to look at Kreacher in surprise.

"Anne talked to you? When?" he asked.

"This morning, Master," said Kreacher, eyes widening. "Kreacher shouldn't have? Kreacher shall punish himself right away. Kreacher thought he was helping Master to be happy because Master is happy with Miss Anne."

Regulus ended up blushing quite a bit as he started shaking his head.

"How did you talk to her?"

"Miss send her Coco to talk to Kreacher," he explained.

"And why didn't you warn me?"

"Because yous was working," Kreacher answered.

Regulus blinked a few times. He couldn't believe Anne had sent her domestic-elf to talk to Kreacher instead of trying to talk to him directly through the parchment or even a letter, if anything she had to say wasn't incriminating.

"Did Miss Anne say anything else?" he asked, still half-lost in his thoughts.

Kreacher looked at Regulus and held onto his own ears, nervous. That was enough answer to Regulus, so he narrowed his eyes to the elf, who whimpered miserably before nodding and tugging his left ear.

"Miss Anne told Coco to tell Kreacher that he wasn't allowed to tell Master Regulus, but Miss Anne is working just as hard as Master Regulus and wanted to know if there would be a day where Mistress would be out of the house," admitted Kreacher. "She wants to see Master Regulus."

"Well, Mother will be out tomorrow and –"

"Miss Anne won't be here tomorrow," Kreacher said, cutting him off.

He raised his eyebrows.

"And you know that, because?"

"Kreacher asked," he explained. "Coco said Miss Anne had a date."

Regulus' stomach dropped. Sure, Kreacher might have been wording it oddly, but there was this pit on his stomach that made him turn back to his table.

"I'm not working anymore, Kreacher, you can go now," Regulus dismissed.

Kreacher hesitated, taking a peek at Regulus as he pulled some parchment and wrote something down. Once he recognized it was nothing but a letter, Kreacher took a step back before popping away with a loud noise.

That letter was sent immediately, but it took almost three hours for him to receive an answer and not even a whole letter back, just a note.

"Dealing with a family situation. I'll talk to you when I can. If I'm back before six, I'll come over," he read in a low voice.