12

As my feet went downstairs, I saw our maids causing a commotion in the kitchen probably trying to cook every food possible according to my favourites.

You see, mama loves to pamper me a lot especially when I get to visit her here in Thailand. Papa was left in Korea, because I asked him for a while to attend to company matters as I take a vacation with my wife.

When I step in the living room, I hear echoing soft cries. And just as how I hate seeing it, Jennie was crying and mama was silently hugging her.

"Hon! Why are you crying?"

I bent down the couch and hold her palms trying to cover her god-given face. I placed both my thumbs on her cheeks and wipe her tears away.

"Mama, why is my wife crying? Were you fighting?"

I calmly asked.

"No baby, we just talked about things."

"Will you let me know?"

"It's not important."

Mama smiled and continued to rub Jennie's back. Soon, her cries faint and she unusually stared at my eyes.

"Hon?"

Again, a few tears fell and she surprisingly caged me in her embrace!

Okay? What magic did my mama do?

"Hey, it's alright honey, I love you."

I smoothly tapped her back while I feel my insides doing impossible back flip.

"L-lisa, be patient with me, please. A little more. I—I promise everything would get better."

"That's enough for me, hon. Thank you for letting me know I haven't completely lost you."

"God! No! You wouldn't ever. It's just, our son dying gave me real tough times. But I'm happy mom knocked some senses in me.
I—I'm ready to take a step forward with you."

Now, it's my time to cry.

"Tell me, Jen. Am I dreaming? Oh please, I don't want to wake up."

I desperately buried my head on her waist not wanting to let go.

"When we reach home, would you be with me for marriage counselling and consult a psychologist? I believe, it will help us both, Nini."

I asked looking at her feline eyes with hope.

"I can't promise, but I will try."

"Thank you, hon."

I placed a kiss lingering on top of her hands and I felt mama intently watching us.

"I'm glad you're better than hours ago when you arrived."

"Thank you, ma."

"Anything for my only child."

We spent the afternoon conversing in the garden and shared teas and delicacies I missed for they can only be found here in this country I was born in.

Later that night, Jennie and I were about to sleep. But, there's only one bed and I fear she wouldn't wanna be close to me.

So I laid on the couch waiting for her to finish her night bath.

Along the silence, her phone vibrated and the screen lightened. It felt odd because every calls received by her phone can be heard ringing loudly beside this one caller that I happen to not know who.

I was contemplating whether to pick up and answer.

But I guess, there's nothing wrong for she is my wife, and I have rights to know her whereabouts?

Soon her phone was close to my reach as I was about to swipe it open, I heard Jennie out of the bathroom and when she saw what I was holding she immediately ran to my space and grabbed the phone away.

Okay? What was that?

We never do that, before.

I was so open and still am, and she was too.

Now, I'm not so sure of my wife's gesture.

Do we hide some things now? Have the rules changed? If so, then I'm not catching up.

"U-uhm, please wait for me in the bed. Let me answer this outside."

Jennie uttered in a low voice.

"Why not here, hon?"

"Just...just not now, Lisa. Okay?"

"Right. I'm sorry."

I tried to smile but I think it only came tight.

She returned the same expression but only apologetic.

Please. I trust you Jennie.

You can never be like that, love or it will kill me a ton.