Chapter 31

'Kimba... wake up babe, we're home.'

I jerk awake, groaning. 'Ohh, sorry... I never meant to fall asleep...'

'Don't worry babe, it's been an emotional day for you, hasn't it?'

'I suppose.'

'Are you ok? You look a bit peaky.'

'I'm fine, just got a bit of a headache. You must be knackered, you've been driving all day!'

'I'm used to it.' Cheryl smiles. 'Come on, let's go in yeah?'

'Any paps about?'

'A couple outside the gates, but they're always there.'

I can't resist glancing towards the gates when we get out of the car and drag our stuff from the boot; Three men are craning their necks through the bars.

'Right.' Cheryl sighs as soon as we're through the door. She waves her mobile in the air. 'What shall we have, Chinese, Indian, pizza?'

'I don't care, I' m not hungry.' I groan, falling onto the sofa and rubbing my head.

'Aah, babe, are you ok?'

'Yeah, I dunno, my heads killing me.'

'Hang on.' Cheryl immediately leaves the room, then comes back with some painkillers. 'I'm gonna ring a takeaway, you might feel better if you eat something, yeah?'

'Hmmm.'

Cheryl phones out for the food, then slides next to me on the sofa. I sit up and she wriggles underneath me, resting my head on her lap. She runs her fingers through my hair and starts rubbing my scalp slowly.

'Wow, that feels amazing.'

'Yeah, it might help.' She smiles. 'Your phone rang in your bag before, while you were asleep...'

'S'ok, it would've just been Adam. I'll talk to him tomorrow.'

'D'you reckon your mum would've told him what happened today?'

'Yeah, most likely, he was always a little mummy's boy.' I giggle. 'He was the mummy's boy, I was the daddy's girl.'

'Aaaah.'

'What about you?'

'Oh, I'm definitely a mummy's girl.'

'Isn't it weird how you're either one or the other?' I say. Cheryl giggles. We chat idly until the buzzer goes. 'Yaaayyy, food!' she cheers, practically throwing me off her lap to run to the door. Laughing, I sit up and grab my bag, extracting my phone. There is a missed call, from Adam as I guessed, and a message:

Hi Sis, how are u? Mum called before, said you'd been there today? Don't wanna get involved, but hope ur alright. Give me a ring when u can. Adam. Xx

Smiling, I send a quick text back.

Hi bro. Was a spur of the moment thing, silly, just wanted a pic of Dad. Back at Cheryl's now, ring u tomorrow? Hows baby? Kim X

Cheryl comes back in with a huge bowl of noodles, prawn crackers, sauce, and rice. 'Dig in babe!' she says, her mouth already full. My phone buzzes again and I reach for it while Cheryl switches on the TV.

Hope u got what you wanted. Baby fine far as I know. Take care in London town, lots of love xx

'Everything alright?' Cheryl says casually. She stops flicking through channels and stops on some sort of wildlife show. 'Aaaah, baby tigers!' she squeals.

'Everything's fine.' I laugh. 'Ugh, Cheryl it's giving birth, that's disgusting, I'm trying to eat!'

'Sorry, it's a guilty pleasure, I love these shows.' Cheryl smiles. 'I'd love to see that for real, wouldn't you?'