Chapter 18

True to her word Sarah is sat there when I go in, fast asleep. With a smile, I go up to Kimberley and take her hand, noticing that it is cold. I'm back.' I whisper, kissing her forehead again. I feel tears sting my eyes. 'Please wake up Kimba.' I sniff. 'I need you to be here. I want to see you on the beach, I want to see you drawing again. I even want you to shout at me, hate me for calling Adam. Please babes, anything but this. Wake up.'

She doesn't respond and I just sink to my knees, folding my arms over on the bed and burying my head in them. 'Cheryl?'

I barely look up and Sarah has jumped up and ran around the bed to me. 'Hey, hey come on, where's this coming from? Awh Chez...'

'S-Sorry... I'm sorry...'

'Come on, Chez, dry those eyes. And keep them that way. We don't want Kimba waking up and seeing you upset do we?'

'N-no...'

'That's right. Where is he, he did turn up didn't he?'

'Yeah... he's outside... I think he's scared.'

'Of what?'

I keep forgetting that Sarah knows... pretty much nothing. Standing up I grasp her hand. 'I really wanna tell you everything, honey.' I smile. 'But a lot of it... it's Kimba's business, more than it is mine. I just don't feel comfortable...'

'It's okay Chez, honest. Maybe I don't want to know. All I want is for you to be alright, you know. Whatever you've bloody got yourself into here... you know after everything you've been through, I just want you to be okay.'

I hug Sarah tightly, comforted by her words and her presence. 'I'm gonna get a coffee babe, I'll take my time, let big brother be here without me getting in the way.'

'You're not in the way--'

'I think he needs to see his sister without all and sundry watching. D'you want anything?'

'No, I'm fine.'

**

I take Sarah's vacated seat, sit there for nearly twenty minutes before Adam finally comes in.

I've been watching Kimberley's face intently for any sign of life, but I sense it when the door opens and closes. He stands there, staring. I watch tears fill his eyes and he moves closer like a zombie, never taking his eyes off her. I get up and go to stand next to him when he reaches her side. 'Adam?'

'She - she looks like a corpse.'

'Don't say that!'

'C-can... can she hear me?'

'I'm not sure. I talk to her anyway... I think she can. I hope she can. Shall I leave you alone...?'

'No, stay, please.'

'Sit down.' I gesture at the seat by the bed and he goes to it, pulls it closer to the bed and grasps his sisters hand between his own. 'Kimberley? Kimberley, It's Adam.'

His voice breaks slightly and I watch him taking deep breaths, trying not to cry. 'Kimberley, I'm here. And I'm not angry with you, and I don't hate you and... God, I'm so sorry. Come on little sis, I need you to wake up so I can tell you what an idiot I am.'

I can tell he is close to breaking down. I move closer and put a hand on his shoulder. 'Don't let her see you cry.'

'I want to see her doctor, is he around? Where will he be?'

'I'll go and find out... I'll find out and get him in here.'

'No it's ok... not yet, just... Sorry. I'm a bit of a mess.'