Chapter 17

For a second I can't speak, and Adam says, 'Hello? You there?'

'Y-yes, sorry. Erm... this is a bit awkward.' I can hear music in the background. 'C-can you.. I mean, can you talk privately?'

'Of course, I'll just patch you through to my office.' Adam sounds intrigued. I hear a hold tone for a few seconds then his voice again, much clearer and silence in the background. 'All good. So what can I do for you?'

'Please don't hang up when I say this.'

'What's going on?'

'My name's Cheryl' I take a deep breath. 'I'm a friend of your sisters.'

Adam doesn't answer, but I can hear him breathing. I decide to stay quiet, let him process it. 'You're a friend of Kimberley?'

'Yes.'

'Is she alright?'

'Well...' oh God, why am I doing this over the phone? 'Well that's why I'm calling.'

'Where is Kimberley?'

'Shes-she's in Los Angeles.'

'Excuse me? Los Angeles? Kimberley?!'

'Yes, she came here with me.'

'Is that where you're calling from?'

'Yes.'

'Is this a joke?'

'Of course not! Adam... can I call you Adam?'

'Sure. What's going on? How did Kimberley end up in LA?'

'She came here with me a few days ago now. Shes... she's in the hospital.'

Adam goes quiet again, for a very long time. 'Are you still there?' I ask quietly.

'I'm here.'

'D-did you hear me?'

'I heard you. What happened?'

'I'm not really very sure. She went into... diabetic shock.'

'Oh Jesus. Oh my God.' Adam gasps. 'How could she be so stupid? She wasn't taking her medicine, why?!'

'She was taking it. I think she ran out. Look, I... I know what happened between you two. Kimberley told me.'

'She did?'

'Yeah. Look I know how you must-well, I don't but... oh God I wish I didn't have to do this over the phone...'

'Tell me. Please.'

'Kimberley's in a coma.'

Adam is quiet for a few seconds, then his tone changes, becomes unexpectedly business-like. 'Can I ask where exactly you are calling from? I'm getting the next available flight to Los Angeles and I need to know where to go.'

I let out a huge breath I didn't know I was holding. 'Really? Seriously?'

'Of course. She's my baby sister.' His voice cracks and he clears his throat. 'Who exactly are you? How did you meet Kimberley?'

'That's a really long story, Adam. I think that should wait until we meet face to face. I'll give you my number, you can call me or text with flight details and I'll arrange for a car to pick you up at the airport and bring you straight to where I live.'

Deciding I should tell him exactly who I am before he sees me I add, 'I'm Cheryl Cole, by the way.'

'...You've got to be joking me now.'