Chapter 22

It's another four days before I can leave the hospital. Cheryl runs back and forth from here to her house, preparing the place for two new house guests.

While I wait for her, I smile to myself as the memory of speaking to Sarah Harding crosses my mind. She called early the morning after I first woke up, and with the permission of the doctor, and Cheryl egging me on excitedly, I answered the phone myself.

Hey Chez, just checking in honey. How is everything, any change?'

'Hiya Sarah.'

'Who's that?'

'It's Kim.'

Sarah screamed so loud I had to hold the phone away from my ear while Cheryl sat next to me laughing. 'Kim?! Are you joshing me, no f*cking way, Cheryl if you're f*cking around--'

'It's seriously me, Sarah!' I shouted back.

'Kim!! AAAAAAGGGHHHHH!! Tommy! Tommy, wake up, It's Kimba! Kim's on the phone, it's her, she's alive!!'

'It's good to hear you're voice Sarah.'

'I'm moving some stuff around in my diary right now, and I'm coming back as soon as humanly f*cking possible, Kim!! Oh my God, I think I'm gonna cry!!'

Sarah has been texting Cheryl none stop since then, usually the same sort of messages "Oh my God I can't believe it I'm so happy!"

I hear the door open and look up, smiling already, knowing it is Cheryl.

She always looks exhausted when I see her, but when she comes breezing in, she looks totally different. She's almost glowing with happiness, and when she sees me, stood up, putting the CD's she made me into a bag one by one, she literally picks me up and swings me around. I can't help noticing she smells amazing.

'What was that for?'

'Nothing, good to see you that's all.'

'You saw me like, three hours ago Cheryl.'

'Not like this.' She grins.

'Careful, you'll be able to pass for the Cheshire cat soon!'

'Good!' she laughs. 'I haven't been this happy in ages. Seriously, it's been a long time.'

I don't know what to say to this, so I stay silent. 'By the way,' Cheryl continues. 'I've sorted out two new rooms in the house, not just one. Thought Adam might find it a bit dodgy if we go into the same room every night!' she laughs awkwardly.

'That's fine, you're right.'

'But if you need me at any point, I'm right on the other side of the wall.' She says, taking the bag off me. 'So don't hesitate to give us a poke.'

'Thanks, Cheryl.'

'Right, have we got everything? You have everything the doctor gave you?'

'Yeah, I'm sorted.'

'You ready to get out of here babe?' she holds out her free hand, smiling. It's infectious, and I find myself grinning back. 'Absolutely. Cheryl?'

'Yeah?'

'I'm really sorry.'

'What for?' Cheryl whispers, her face falling.

'That day, on the beach... I just... I must've really scared you.'

'Yeah, you could say that.'

'I'm so sorry, it must've been horrible..'

'It's ok, Kim. The main thing is you're ok now, yeah?' she raises our joined hands and kisses the back of my hand. 'Let's go home.'