//17//:A Night in the comfort of the street

Start from the beginning

"Are your eardrums obstructed?"

"I'm not going anywhere." I leaned on the tree, I wore my hood over my hijab. I brought my knees to my chest and rested my head on my knees.

"Listen....."

"Thank you for saving me. But I can't return back to that house. Not till after her daughter has been taken to her husband's house. I can't bring myself to go back there. I would rather spent the night here out in the open than to go where I am not wanted. You can go, but wallahi I'm not going. I can't!"

No matter how much I wanted to hide my broken-hearted voice from him, I failed deeply. I myself felt the pain just moving my tongue to speak.

I was surprised as he didn't say a word. He sighed heavily and rested on the other side of the tree.

"I told you to go!"

"I'm not leaving you here all alone, Adila." He exclaimed. Deep down, I was elated. God knows that I don't want to be left alone here. Even if it's with this jerk, at least I know him. My lips stretched into a small smile. Calm down, he can't see me smiling, he's on the other side.

After about ten minutes of silence, he reached out his hands with a handkerchief. I saw it with my side view. I furrowed my eyebrows. "Why?" I asked.

"Clean your eyes."

"I don't cry."

"I know I call you a Dragon, but even dragons shed tears when in pain. Stop being stubborn and just take it." He snapped. He thinks I'm kidding. I let out a humourless chuckle, "I'm not being stubborn, I'm serious. I don't cry. I've never shed a single tear in my life. Don't ask me why because I myself don't know the reason."

He seemed to have gotten the message, because he didn't say a word after that. Before he returned his hands to their normal position, I turned sideways to see his hands, blood was dripping down like a running tap of water.

Subhanallah

"Your hand is bleeding immensely." I blurted out. I couldn't see him but I knew he just shrugged it off, saying something underneath his breath.

I removed my hood, then my hijab, then I pulled out the huge bandana tied on my head. It was a black and white bandana that I got as a birthday gift from Baba Kaka years back. I wore my hijab and hood back. Contemplating, I folded in into three. I walked and squatted right in front of him. I used a little stick to pick up his hand gently, I didn't want to make any physical contact, he immediately jerked it away, sending me a glare that was enough to feed cities suffering from famine.

I saw that coming.

"Stay."

I rolled my eyes and picked it gently, this time he allowed me. I rolled his blood stained sweater up, revealing his injured bleeding arms. It was not a good site to witness. Jerkilace being the hard rock, hot headed wall he is, didn't seem to have been affected by it. I took in a deep breath knowing I'd have to make physical contact, I used my palms to scrape the blood down with my index and thumb. I did it about five times before the blood stopped streaming down.

To say I'm flabbergasted that this grump hasn't pushed me to the ground yet, would be an understatement. I felt him staring at me, but I didn't dare look up. I tied the bandana round his arm to stop the bleeding.

There goes my favorite bandana.

I got up and returned to my normal position. 

I glanced at my phone to check the time.

1:55am

It's been two hours since I left. And it's been fourth five minutes since we sat here, enjoying each other's silence. I wanted to ask him how he knew I was here, why he was here, and also why he helped me. I mean we despise each other's guts. It's not adding up that Farooq khaleed decided to be a gentleman or rather a hero all of a sudden.