New Life

Ever since I became the Golden Guard my life had been completely different. Instead of being a forgettable scout I drew attention everywhere I went. Instead of following the orders of the captains they followed my orders. Instead of being with the rest of the scouts I was given a room where only the top of the Coven reside. Instead of only seeing a single coven head if I got lucky, I was personally introduced to all of them.

On the other end, I was sure most of my colleagues were extremely jealous. I was completely sure all of the other scouts respected me as there superior, but absolutely hated me. It's not like much changed there though. I never had any friends or people I truly cared about other than my uncle. The closest I had gotten was hanging out with a boy my age once, and that was a one time thing.

By the time I turned 15 I was so close to being everything I should be. I was given between 6-7 dozen missions by the end each month and I failed once every two months MAX. Even then it was horrible when it happened. Failing the first time was bad enough, it was horrible to fail even once more than before. It didn't matter how much I was successfully. Failure was horrible and deserved punishment. There were even times he lets me off with only a warning because of all my success. I felt absolutely horrible whenever he did. So I took punishment into my own hands. It's a good this I'm required to wear gloves with my uniform.

I had perfected using my staff as well. I was so good at using it it was almost like I could actually use magic. I knew the only reason I was able to do this was due to the potions I drank the month leading up to my initiation, I made sure to drink every single one. I was extremely grateful my uncle had brewed them himself just for me.

My life was work, work, eat five meals a week, maybe get sleep, read if I have time, and more work. Much to my distaste I had to eat another meal per week so the fact I was underweight didn't become noticable. It took a lot not to puke it up as soon as I ate it.

I already had barely any free time, but now it was even fewer and far in-between. When my once a year day off came I spent the entire time sleeping. Not to mention my Nightmares had been getting much worse. So even when I had the time to sleep I was woken up by them and couldn't fall back asleep. There were things I saw while on my missions I would never forget. Thankfully I never ended up causing the deaths of anyone again, I learned my lesson.

I also finally learned what that thing my Uncle turned into really was. It was his curse. It was something that so far could only be put under control by palismen souls. I had quite a few missions that had me collecting them. I did so without a second thought. Palismen were made from wild magic. Why should I care what happened to something that existences because of something that angered that Titan?

Speaking of that my uncle finally told me the truth about the Titans plans. He had been planning to make me Golden Guard ever since the Titan had told him that it had big plans for me. However he didn't tell me so I could prove my loyalty by working hard to earn the title. I was extremely grateful. I would prove not only was I worthy of the plans the Titan had for me, but of uncle taking care of me and getting me ready. My uncle told me he couldn't tell me about what they were, not until it was time. I understood.

On my 15 birthday I celebrated it being the one year anniversary of becoming The Golden Guard. My birthday had never really mattered before, but now there was something special about it. Something actually worth celebrating. Before all it really was was a reminder of my age so it was a bit harder to lose track.

I couldn't find the plush I had bought from The Owl Lady on my last day off when I moved to a new room. Even though I looked everywhere. I guess I must of dropped it somewhere and someone else took care of it. I was a bit upset but moved on fairly easily.

I did undercover patrol of different parts of the Boiling Isles when I wasn't busy with missions, though I made sure to never patrol Bonesborough. I had grown out of my casual outfit and was given multiple more due to the fact my patrol was undercover after all. There was a rule I couldn't do anything that was distracting while I was on patrol. I always made sure to follow it.

Everyone knew I was a teenager now. But they had no idea I was the powerless recruit. I was considered 'the genius teen prodigy' and that was the excuse for my special treatment. My pay also skyrocketed once I got my promotion.

Only the Head of the Abominations Coven and the Head of the Board Coven were permitted to know I was the Emperor's nephew. So that meant four people knew who I really was now.

I grew to consider my 'real' name a pain. I was The Golden Guard, the right hand man of Belos, not the powerless scout Hunter. The only person who knew my real name anymore was my uncle, and I intended to keep it that way.

I absolutely loved my new uniform, the mask was amazing. My favorite part had to be the cape though. The outfit I was required to wear underneath was much more comfortable than the scout uniform I used to wear.

In all my life was better now then it ever had been before, and I intended to keep it that way.