The New Golden Guard

I had 4 months to be ready to be The Golden Guard. Which meant more stress than I ever had in my life. The problem wasn't strength, no I already was plenty ready in that regard. The problem was the thing I had to learn how to use, the staff with artificial magic.

I wouldn't be able to actually use it until after taking a daily potion every morning for the month leading up to my initiation. But there was plenty for me to learn even without that. I needed to learn how to fly, use different types of magic, among many other things. I was so busy I had to visit Estera once a week instead of twice. With someone else having to drop her off for her tests.

Estera was really supportive and happy for me, and after the ball we celebrated during our time together. She was upset I didn't drop her off at for her tests anymore, but happy we could still spend time together. Uncle had even said I would still be able to visit her every other week once I became The Golden Guard.

By the second month I was forcing myself to eat 4 meals a week(dinner each night for four night) to prepare myself. It took all my willpower not to puke it back up once I was done eating it. I already felt disgusted by myself for what I did eat, the last thing I wanted was more food. I still chocked it down though.

By the three month mark I had been practicing with a flying practice staff and was doing great. My instructor told me if I keep up the practice I'll be an amazing flyer before the halfway mark of my first year as Golden Guard.

By the two month mark I had memorized all the types of magic I could use and how to use them with my staff.

By the one month mark I was ready for the ceremony. All that was left was practice and drinking my daily potion that my uncle had brewed just for me.

Though something weird happened when I woke up the next day after taking my first one. I felt like I was forgetting something really important. But when I thought about it I could remember everything that was supposed to be important.

I knew my name, Hunter. My 14th birthday was on my initiation. I had been a scout since I was 12, and started training when I was 11. I was the nephew and last living relative of the Emperor. I knew what my uncles face looked like. He was my only family left. I had run into the Owl Lady once and bought something from her. I gave the name of her stand to my uncle and he was happy about it. I was days away from fulfilling my dream to be the Golden Guard. But I still couldn't shake the feeling I was forgetting something.

I asked my uncle about it and he said it was probably the nerves, he had given me a smile when he said that. He was probably right. Just the nerves.

By the day it was happening I felt so many emotions I had never felt in my life before. As I stood in my new armor, being offered the staff of the last Golden Guard. I accepted all of my conditions. My dream was finally coming true, and now as I looked at the man in front of me, the person who took me in and raised me. I promised to not only be the best Golden Guard I could, but to be a nephew my uncle could be proud of.