Chapter 25: {Back To School}

Tanjiro placed his hand on the man's shoulder in an attempt to get him to stop, which worked. Catching his breath, Tanjiro watched as the man slowly turned around to face him. The man's appearance was like that of a tall and fairly muscular man in his late twenties with an unnaturally pale complexion and curly black hair. Still, the thing that sent a shiver down Tanjiro's spine was the man's eyes, his red snake-like eyes locking onto his.

The two said nothing to each other, it was as if time had slowed down completely. The scent coming from this man wasn't like anything Tanjiro had smelt before, it wasn't one of hate or anger, and only a little bit of what was coming from the dumpster in the alleyway, but Tanjiro soon came to realize that it was something more than that.

It was something he never knew he could take the scent of. Someone's intent to kill...

.

.

.

Tanjiro, still panting, noticed a small red stain on the man's white tie

Tanjiro, still panting, noticed a small red stain on the man's white tie. Assuming the worst, He removed his hand from the man's shoulder and took a step back with multiple thoughts running through his mind.

Tanjiro: "What does that mean? Is that really blood? It smells like the same thing from the dumpster back then... Was that a person in there? Did- Did he kill someone? I have to go back... I should tell the police- I should-" He stopped after noticing a well-dressed young boy with blue eyes look back and up at Tanjiro as well.

The Boy: "Father? Why'd you stop?" He held the man's hand.

The Man: "Sorry, it seems as though someone needs something from me." He turned to Tanjiro with a relaxed smile. "Is there anything I can help you with, young man?" He asked calmly. Tanjiro stood there in silence, speechless as to what he was seeing. "You two are aware that if you keep moving at such a slow pace we'll be late to the opera correct?" A woman spoke from behind the man. "Right dear, we just got a little..." He turned to Tanjiro with a leer. "...inconvenience."

The Woman: "Oh? Do you know him?" She along with her husband shared similar eyes, only that hers were blue instead. You could tell that she not only looked but spoke like an elegant woman at a glance. She wore a long black yukata, and seemed to share the same complexion as her husband and son. "No... He must have mistaken me for someone else." The man responded. His wife took one look at Tanjiro and then his stained tie and knew that her husband was lying but decided not to say anything.

Tanjiro: "..."

The Woman: "Is that right? Well, I'm sure whatever it was you needed I hope that you'll find it elsewhere, however, we're going to be late for where we need to be." She flashed Tanjiro a warm and kind smile before wrapping her arm around her husband's. "Farewell."