54

"Well, this is...disheartening." Donella sighed.

"Well, they aren't here!" Cassandra turned to Melina.

"Huuuuh? That's strange, why would they be anywhere but here?" She hummed thoughtfully, then clapped the paws of her teddy bear. "Oh! Maybe they're in the library!"

"Ooookay, then. Let's go look in the library." Eugene sighed heavily.

"Maybe we should skip the tour and split up?" Hugo suggested.

"Uh oh, that's not a good idea." Melina spoke up. "It was dangerous enough you all did it yesterday because of the Top, but the House of Yesterday's Tomorrow is sentient and pulls pranks. You could find yourself stuck in a room that is playing the same annoying song over and over for hours!"

"So...don't split up?" Eugene asked.

"Well, if you want to risk it, then that's on you." She shrugged.

"Well, we'll cover more ground if we do." Eugene said, nodding firmly.

"Well, if you insist on separating, then be careful." Melina looked at her teddy bear, poking its nose. "The House doesn't like people snooping around." She then turned and walked out of the room.

"Right...thanks." Eugene sighed. "Okay, let's split up and find them."

"We're going to make sure there's a Saporian in each group." Juniper said, pulling out her mirror. "That way, we can keep in contact if needed."

"That's smart." Donella nodded.

"So, dividing the three mirrors up, we're going to go with Hugo and Donella with Clementine, Lance and Eugene with Andrew, and Cassandra with me." Juniper said thoughtfully. "I hate that there's only two for us, but our number is uneven."

"We'll be fine." Cassandra assured her.

"Right. Let's head out." Eugene nodded firmly and then their group turned to walk off, Ruddiger and Pascal staying with Eugene.

"Well, let's head out." Cassandra said, turning to Juniper.

"Yep." Juniper linked her arm with Cassandra's. "Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and find that Lucas guy again."

"Well, hopefully he could help us find them, if we do." Cassandra nodded.

"I'm going out for a little bit, but I will be back soon." Gothel assured them. "I want to get some herbs for the soup tonight."

"Alright, as long as you're back soon." Rapunzel nodded.

"Oh, my poor dears." She sighed. "You've been so lonely up here while I'm away that you dreamed up a whole life out of the tower. Well, perhaps..." She paused and then cleared her throat. "Well, let me down, Rapunzel."

Rapunzel walked over to hook up her hair and lower her down. "I will be returning soon." She assured her as she was lowered.

"We'll be here." Rapunzelsmiled.

"Perhaps"? Perhaps what? What was her mother thinking about? Rapnzel really wanted to ask, but...what if it was a surprise, and to ask would ruin it? Or, if someone interrupted her consideration, she'd decide against whatever it was?

"She left?" Varian asked, walking over to the window as Rapunzel pulled her empty hair back up.

"Mmhm." She pulled her hair in fully and then walked over to start cleaning up from breakfast.

She knew, for sure, that her healing power worked, so the dream had to have been just a dream. And the very thought of not having her healing powers, now that she'd had some time to adjust, was...frightening. What if her mother got hurt? What if Varian did? What if her mother aged too much like in the dream and they were left without their protector, where people like the Stabbingtons could come in and take them away and do unsightly things to them? She shivered and then turned and walked over to where Varian was working on his alchemy, hugging him tightly from behind and earning a confused squeak.