2

"Well, that wasn't so bad. I mean, aside from Duchess Bighair." Eugene said jokingly after they were safely inside her room to talk.

"What was her problem? Everyone knows you were missing for most of your life." Varian frowned. "Eugene, did you hear her name?"

"Why, was it funny?" Eugene joked.

"She doesn't have one." Varian shook his head. "Everyone else gave their titles and names, but not her. Don't you think it's suspicious?"

"Yeah, actually. A little. Rapunzel?" Eugene looked at her.

Rapunzel looked unsure. "I...I don't know. I don't want to think about it, I'm just trying to focus on what I have to do. I mean, there's the royal banquet tomorrow, I don't want to make a fool of myself..."

"Hey," Eugene took her hand. "You'll do great."

She smiled and moved closer to him. "You think so?"

"I know so." He leaned in to kiss her.

"Alright, Fitzherbert. Out." Cassandra walked into the room. "She needs to be rested for tomorrow and you're not allowed in here when she's going to bed."

"What—you couldn't wait five seconds? Or a minute? I swear, they are timing these things!" Eugene gave Rapunzel a quick peck on the lips before Cassandra yanked him away and forced him out. "See you tomorrow, sunshine!"

Cassandra shut the door behind him and sighed, turning to Varian. "Don't you have a guest room?"

"Have I ever used it?" He smirked smugly.

"No." She rolled her eyes.

"Can you help me out of this outfit? I'm pretty sure it's tailored to be removed by someone else." Varian made a face while Rapunzel laughed.

"You just need to get used to moving in it." Cassandra walked over and unfastened his overcoat for him. "There."

Varian reached up to remove the pins keeping his bangs back and untied his hair while Cassandra moved to help Rapunzel get changed for bed.

"Hey, cheer up." Cassandra smiled. "You'll be able to go around town tomorrow, remember?"

"Yeah!" Rapunzel nodded. "It'll be nice to relax!"

--

To her dismay, guards flanked her every move. Luckily, Varian had somehow managed to convince the King to let him go with her, so they had to give them some space instead of trapping Rapunzel between them like they planned.

"So, shall we get some candy?" Rapunzel asked him as they walked through the town.

Varian nodded.

They found that the guards kept trying to intervene in every attempt Rapunzel did to interact with people, but they backed up when Varian's eyes started to glow after the third intervention. They hated to admit it, but the boy was kind of terrifying. With his stopping the interventions but also watching closely, Rapunzel was able to enjoy her morning out in town.

Plus, her ever-present pet chameleon was giving them looks of death if they got too close.

"Varian, which should I pick?" She asked, looking at two different kind of sweets.

"Can you get one of each?" He suggested.

"Oh! Of course!" She bought one of each and offered him one with a smile. "We'll share!"

"Princess Rapunzel!" A little girl ran up to them and Rapunzel smiled. "You're really beautiful!"

"Aww, thanks! You're really pretty, too!" Rapunzel said cheerfully.