50

The next morning, they set off again in their respective vehicles, with Andrew, Clementine and Juniper in a hot-air balloon and Rapunzel and the others in their caravan. Before they left, Andrew had given Rapunzel a mirror that allowed them to communicate with them just by tapping it twice and speaking his name. She'd tested it out and confirmed it worked before they set off.

"So...we're on good terms with the magic people now, right?" Hugo asked as he leaned on the half-open two-part door, looking up at the hot-air balloon. "No more drama?"

"Yeah, we're fine...sort of. It's...tentative." Rapunzel admitted.

"Any sign of that 'weird structure' yet?" Lance asked.

"Nope." Hugo frowned. "But, it does look like a storm is coming."

"Will they be okay up there?" Rapunzel asked worriedly.

"I'm sure they'll be fine, Raps." Cassandra assured her from where she and Eugene were up front at the reins.

"Whoa, look at that!" Hugo pointed up. The others came to the window and saw a glowing bubble form around the hot-air balloon. "What are they doing?"

"I think it's some kind of Elemental Ward, probably intended to keep off the rain. Eugene, Cassandra, you should come inside." Donella called to them.

"Right. Maximus, Fidella, just follow the balloon, okay?" Eugene said as he and Cassandra climbed in.

They looked out and saw an Elemental Ward forming around the horses. Rapunzel smiled gratefully at them, then shut all the doors and windows.

The rain was pouring down outside the caravan and everyone was feeling irritable. Hugo and Donella were playing cards and the flip of each card on the table was audible and Lance decided that now was the best time to practice his whistling. Varian was working on his alchemy and the solution and burner were both making their own different sounds that was normally soothing but right now...well, it was bugging Eugene, especially with everything else combined.

And then Rapunzel opened the door with a bang, startling Varian and causing his solution to explode a little. "Hey!"

"Lance, please!" Rapunzel said, looking at the man in question.

"Yes, please, the song is awful." Eugene said as he trimmed his eyebrows.

"Speaking of 'awful'," Cassandra remarked, "I see you're looking at yourself again, pretty boy."

Varian sighed heavily and started to clean up the mess, shooting his sister a bitter look. She noticed and smiled apologetically before coming in and going over to help him clean up. Lance continued to whistle, completely unbothered by Rapunzel's coming in.

"Well, it beats looking at you." Eugene turned to Cassandra with an annoyed look.

"If you two are about to start some petty argument, I will throw both of you out of the still-moving caravan and you can walk in the rain." Donella said as she set down another card.

"She's not joking." Hugo said as he set his own down.

"How is this not bothering you?" Cassandra gestured to Lance.

"'With the wiiiind in myyyy haaaair' every damn morning makes you preeeeeetty used to obnoxious noises." Hugo said, shooting Rapunzel an annoyed look.

"I've heard worse." Donella said calmly.

"Worse?" Varian looked at her. "What's worse than this noise?"