32

"Although I was surrounded by stunning scenery, I knew not to mistake this beauty for anything but what it truly was...pure evil." Adira said as they rode along, Varian, Hugo and Lance now sitting on top of the caravan with her.

"Whoa..." Lance breathed.

"How come?" Varian asked.

"That beauty concealed the Drexis. The Drexis that inhabit the Forest of No Return are the deadliest creatures I have ever encountered. Their wingspan stretches over 20 feet, and each of their fangs are the size of a chubby toddler!" She gestured dramatically and Varian giggled. "You laugh, but this is real, my nephew."

"Wow, that is some powerful imagery there, Adira." Eugene said dryly. "Fictional, but powerful. And I was with you, but once you got to the spider-bats, you totally snapped my suspension of disbelief."

"They're called the Drexis, weren't you listening?" Lance asked anxiously.

"Who cares what they're called?" Eugene asked with exasperation. "Anyone? Show of hands?" He paused. "Would you put your hand down, Lance."

"Actually ,it might be a good idea to keep track of what beasts we encounter." Donella said from inside. "A beastiary would come in great handy for the return trip."

"A beasty—what?" Eugene asked.

"A beastiary." Donella came to the window. "It's a book that contains pictures and information on beasts, such as the Drexis. I've already got the information on the Drexis down, though I will need to see one to draw it."

"I thought you couldn't draw anything but blueprints?" Varian asked teasingly.

"I said I don't draw simple things." Donella rolled her eyes.

Varian and Hugo laughed.

"Who else here knew what a beastiary was?" Eugene asked.

"I did." Adira said cheerfully.

"Why am I not surprised." Eugene said dryly. "Oh, look, we're almost out of this fo—oh, no, no, no." He groaned as they came up to the tree with the words carved into it again. "That cannot be the same sign."

"Looks the same to me." Varian remarked as everyone else agreed.

"We just went in a big circle." Rapunzel realized.

"No...wait, it's not—we should be out of this forest."

"Of no—" Adira started.

"I know what it's called!" Eugene snapped.

"Return." She finished in a stage-whisper.

Eugene frowned. "Did you have to?"

They all got out of the caravan to stretch their legs.

"Okay, so I haven't technically gotten us anywhere." Eugene admitted awkwardly. "And I know what you're thinking, but it is not my fault!"

Cassandra walked over to him. "Not your fault?! You led us in a circle, 'really good navigator'!"

"Hey, be fair. The trees are moving around." Varian told her, and Cassandra pursed her lips.

"And in Eugene's defense, it was a really good circle!" Rapunzel added.

Cassandragroaned. "We're never getting out of here."

"We will if we use the map, Shorthair." Adira said from the boulder she'd decided to siton.

"Will the map stop the trees from moving?" Hugo asked.

"Maybe they only move if you're going the wrong way." Varian shrugged.