11

Pascal was feeling gloomy today. Rapunzel was busy with her princess things and Varian was busy learning how to fight from Cassandra. And earlier, he'd tried to do things they used to do in the tower together, but Eugene and Cassandra had distracted the two of them again. It was like they never had time for him anymore.

Ruddiger seemed to sense his distress and nuzzled him before going over and walking around Varian's legs, startling him. "Whoa! Ruddiger?" He looked down in surprise, then gasped and blocked Cassandra's sword.

"Careful not to get distracted in battle." She teased.

Ruddiger tugged on his pant leg and he lowered his sword. "Cass, I think he needs me for something."

"Oh, alright." Cassandra sheathed her sword and Varian handed back the training one before he followed Ruddiger over to where Pascal was sitting, his entire body blue.

"Hey, Pascal." He sat down next to the chameleon, who climbed up into his lap. "What's the matter, buddy?" He stroked his back. "Rapunzel couldn't bring you with her?"

Pascal let out a sad sigh and climbed up his arm and sat on his shoulder. He smiled sympathetically.

"What's up with the lizard?" Cassandra asked, walking over and sitting next to him.

"I think he misses Rapunzel. She's out with her parents surveying the kingdom right now." Varian rubbed the chameleon's head affectionately. "Me too, buddy. It's not easy adjusting to her new life, is it?"

Pascal nuzzled his hand and looked up at him meaningfully. Cassandra cleared her throat, catching Varian's attention. "Well, she'll be back later." She reminded them. "Right now, though, you were in the middle of your training. So, unless it's something urgent..."

"She's right. Sorry, Pascal." He gently took him off his shoulder and set him next to Ruddiger. "Why don't you spend some time with Ruddiger while I train? We can play later." He got up and followed Cassandra over, accepting the training sword again.

"Now, when fighting, you need to be aware of your surroundings. If you were, you wouldn't have been distracted and surprised by your raccoon just now." Cassandra scolded him good-naturedly.

"Right. Don't want to get grabbed from behind." Varian nodded.

"Exactly. Now, why don't you show me what you've learned so far?" Cassandra asked.

Pascal sighed and curled up on top of Ruddiger to watch them train.

--

"Phew, that was...fun! And also kind of...unsettling." Rapunzel said when she left her parents' sides.

"Black rocks?" Varian asked.

"Yeah. They've moved away from the wall, Varian." Rapunzel looked worried. "I don't know what we're going to do..."

"Panic? That's pretty much been my go-to." Varian said with a helpless shrug.

Pascal caught their attention by running up and climbing up Rapunzel's hair to sit on her shoulder. "Oh, Pascal!" Rapunzel said in surprise.

"I think he's been missing you today." Varian smiled.

"Oh, Pascal...I want to play, but I actually need to wash up and change my dress now." Rapunzel said apologetically. "One of the guests at today's dinner party is allergic to lizards."

"Is that today?" Varian winced. "I gotta wear that stuffy outfit again?"

"Sorry!" Rapunzel laughed. "I did try to talk my father out of it, but he said that since you were practically royalty, being my adopted brother, that people would question the fact you were missing."