22

Something was wrong with Varian.

People had been going missing without a trace over the last two days, and he wasn't sitting at his desk trying to piece together the reasons or where they had gone. Instead, he was going out like clockwork to the art class and then sitting quietly to read in the bedroom.

"Varian?" Rapunzel decided to try getting to the bottom of this. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm trying to read, Rapunzel." He said, turning a page.

"Yes, but...that's a fairytale book." Rapunzel pointed out. "Not even a Flynnigan Rider one."

"What's wrong with that?" He turned another page.

"You never read fairytale books, you find them too unrealistic and illogical." Rapunzel shrugged. "I'm just wondering—"

"Well, maybe, since my life has become completely illogical, I'm opening up to them more! You ever think about that?" He got up and put the book away. "I mean, come on, I have a sentient rock haunting my dreams! You don't get any more unrealistic and illogical than that!"

"Vari—"

"And maybe, just maybe, I want to read a story where there's a happy ending, because I SURE AS HELL DON'T HAVE ONE!" Varian wiped at his eyes. "It's either I give myself up to the moonstone, or everyone I love suffers! So, excuse me, if I am just trying to escape from my messed-up reality for a time!"

"Varian, I know that it's hard—"

"You know?!" He turned to her, a black rock growing in the corner of the ceiling. "You know about what I'm going through? Really, sis? Because, last I checked, you didn't have a sentient rock clawing at you every night!"

"No, but I had Gothel when I was growing up!" She stood up, tears forming in her eyes. "And I know what it's like to be hunted for powers that you never asked for! To have to watch your loved one DIE because you didn't give in! I...she killed Eugene, Varian! We almost lost him! If I didn't have some power left, just enough to save him..." She started sobbing and fell to her knees.

Varian stared at her, then his eyes glowed white briefly before he turned and walked out, closing the door behind him.

"...Uhm..."

Rapunzel gasped and looked to the side to see..."Hugo?"

"Yeah...I came to talk to him about the, y'know, amber thing...is this a bad time? He seems...mad." Hugo looked at where Varian had stormed off to.

Rapunzel sighed. "I...I don't know. He's acting strange."

"Does the perpetually-glowing hair have anything to do with it? Or the white eyes he had for a bit?" Hugo asked awkwardly, not sure how to approach her. He didn't do well with crying people...

"White eyes?" Rapunzel frowned, wiping at her eyes. "That's new. Hugo, we have to find Varian."

"Uh...okay?" Hugo shrugged. "Wouldn't you prefer Rider, though?"

"You're already here." She grabbed his wrist and pulled him along.

"Well, okay. So...uhm...can I just...what was that argument?" Hugo asked as she pulled him along.

"Something that shouldn't have happened." Rapunzel said, looking into different rooms. "Varian, where did you go?"

"Yeah, I get that, he's acting weird. But, uh...you have powers, too?" Hugo raised an eyebrow.