23

"So, to summarize, Zhan Tiri was an evil warlock that Lord Demanitus battled and defeated. But, apparently Zhan Tiri is able to come back from where Demanitus sent him, which is where the creepy painting class comes in." Varian explained over breakfast the next morning. Hugo had passed out when they got back and had stayed the night in the castle. "And, apparently, there are other minions too, so this might not be the only time something like this happens. Rapunzel and I are the Sundrop and the Moonstone, so we're likely to be targets. So, decide now if you actually wanna stick around for more possible dark magic stuff."

"...Well, gosh, Stripes. I already battled one minion, what's a million more?" Hugo sighed heavily. "Donella says that the amber isn't normal amber. It's still the black rocks, just slightly different. So, it will probably take magic to melt it and free your father."

Varian pursed his lips."Magic..."

"Yeah. Which, uh, I totally didn't believe in until...how the fuck do you explain that thing scientifically?" He ran his hands through his hair. "Plus, there's all your glowing and summoning black rocks from the ground, which was pretty badass, by the way."

"Hugo?" Eugene walked over to him and placed his hand on his head. "Stop saying bad words around Varian."

"Bad words?" Varian laughed a bit.

"Just stop, okay?" Eugene raised an eyebrow.

Hugo sighed. "Don't censor me, Rider. You know I don't like to have to be careful with my words."

Varian cleared his throat. "So...magic?"

"Yeah, that's what she says. To be frank, I didn't know she even believed in that. But, I guess it's kind of hard not to, looking at you." Hugo shrugged.

"Alright. I'll look into the magic angle, then. I'm sure Xavier knows something, or maybe I can find some books..." Varian sighed, "...at the tower."

Eugene rubbed the back of his head. "Well, I got important stuff to do, so...you might have to wait until someone can take you there, because we aren't going to let you go out to the tower by yourself."

Varian sighed. "Okay..."

Hugo shrugged, then looked over as Eugene left them alone. "...Well...that happened."

Varian got up and headed out of the room, Ruddiger following. Hugo shrugged and followed him. "Sooo..."

"Hm?"Varian looked at him.

"They said that you aren't allowed to go to the tower by yourself, right?" Hugo asked slyly.

"Yeah." Varian sighed.

"They didn't say 'with a guard'." Hugo grinned. "If go with you, it's no longer 'by yourself'."

Varian blinked, then grinned. "Okay, let's go."

--

"We're going to get in so much trouble when they find out." Varian said as Hugo rowed them across the water and to the mainland.

"Meh." Hugo shrugged. "They know where you'll be."

They reached the mainland and climbed out, heading into the woods.

"So...this tower. It's where Gothel kept you, right?" Hugo guessed.

"Yeah." Varian nodded. "She did studies on the Moonstone and Sundrop with Demanitus, she has to have something on the black rocks."

Varian found the entryway and pushed aside the vines, leading him in. He looked up at the tower, his expression grim. Hugo looked around it curiously. "So...how are we getting up?"