15

"I can't believe it." Eugene said in disbelief.

"You tried your best." Rapunzel said comfortingly.

"It wasn't enough." Eugene pursed his lips. "We have to find them."

"How?" Varian asked. "They took off on a rowboat, the trail ended there."

"We have to try!" Eugene insisted. "I...I really thought we could get them to change. They seemed so happy."

"Angry kept trying to run away." Varian reminded him.

"Eugene..." Rapunzel gently took his hand, "sometimes the best way for people to change is to give them a chance and, if they do not want help, all we can do is be there for them until they do."

Eugene frowned. "No...I talked to Angry before, she sounded like she wanted to change. There must be some reason for them to keep stealing, something she's not telling me."

"Well, you might want to try checking out the river cliffs." Cassandra suggested from where she had been resting nearby.

"The river cliffs?" Varian looked over at her.

"I saw that girl, Red, when you were hanging out yesterday." Cassandra nodded. "The flower in her hair is only found at the river cliffs."

Rapunzel looked at Eugene. "We should go."

"No." Eugene stood up. "Lance and I should go. This was our task, and we blew it."

"Eugene..." Rapunzel sighed and stood up to sweetly kiss him. "Okay. Be safe."

"Take Ruddiger with you, so he can come get us for backup." Varian gestured to his raccoon.

Eugene looked surprised and nodded. "I will." He headed for the door. "We'll...we'll be back later. Hopefully with them." He left, Ruddiger on his heels.

Rapunzel waved as he left, her smile shaky.

--

Hours passed, and they didn't return. Rapunzel tried to distract herself, but it was getting more and more difficult. Varian leaned on the balcony, watching for Eugene and the others - or Ruddiger, if they needed help.

"Anything yet?" Rapunzel asked anxiously.

"No." Varian felt anxious, like something had gone wrong. Horribly wrong. He gasped as he saw a gray figure racing across the bridge. "Ruddiger!" He ran out of the room, racing to the door of the castle to meet his pet. "Ruddiger!" He knelt down and the raccoon jumped into his arms. "What happened? Where are they?" He asked, then noticed a note in Ruddiger's mouth.. He took it and opened it. "It's from Eugene..."

"What is it?!" Rapunzel ran to his side.

"'The girls were involved with The Baron. We had to give ourselves up to save their lives. I love you both, but please don't do anything crazy. Eugene'." Varian looked up at her.

She frowned. "Varian..."

"We're going to do something crazy?" He asked.

"Yes." She nodded firmly. "Go get your bag, Pascal and my frying pan."

"Yes, ma'am." He headed in, handing her the note as he passed her.

--

Ruddiger led them through the woods and to the river cliffs. From there, they followed the scent to a caravan driving down the road. They both tensed, recognizing the caravan as being just like the one they were almost put on. Varian's eyes glowed slightly as he recalled being locked inside and roughly manhandled to have the crown taken from his bag.