Chapter 2 - Aspen

"Aspen!" Swamp shrieked my name once again and I covered my mouth, trying not to laugh.

"ASPEN! THIS ISN'T FUNNY!!" Petal yelled, and I burst out laughing and ran away from the tree I was hiding behind.

"Found her!" Petal shouted, her face a mask of frozen laughter and playful fury. Swamp flung out his hand, throwing exploding touch-me-nots, but I dodged them all and leapt onto a tree, giggling as my sister and brother shook their fists at me.

"Come down, you coward!" Suddenly, a thorn was thrown to the ground and stabbed Swamp in the foot. Swamp yelped as a stream of blood ran out of his boot and I quickly jumped down and turned around, furious. Who did that? Who dared to hurt my brother? A high pitched laugh suddenly ripped in the air and I glared at the figure approaching in the fog. It was Pollen, daughter of the village leader and an impossible girl to deal with.

"What in the name of Queen Forest do YOU want?" Petal asked, her eyes turning stony and cold.

"I want you all to get out of this clump of trees. Don't you know it's my spot?" Ugh, she was so spoiled.

"The forest belongs to everyone." Swamp yelled, and I suddenly felt the earth rumble. Is it another earthquake? I thought to myself, and then shook myself and directed my angry gaze back at Pollen.

"Shut your mouth, Swamp. Unless you want another thorn in the foot." Pollen hissed and she looked back at me.

"Why aren't you moving already? I said GET OUT!" She shouted and pushed me to the ground. My anger burst and I got up, feeling the earth rumble again.

"No." I said, and I was surprised that the forest echoed with my voice. My eyes glowed green and the earth shook, making Swamp and Petal gasp. Pollen fell back onto her butt, her eyes wide and her body shaking with fear.

"What kind of sorcery is this?" She gasped, crawling back on her hands. I then felt the earth shake again and I paused for a moment to think, Am I doing this? To my surprise, a shivery voice echoed back, Yes. I am doing this, making the earth shake. The ground obeyed me, and only me. I turned back to look at my siblings, who were gaping in shock.

"No, the earth elemental can't be Aspen. Petal, please pinch me." I had no idea what the fools were talking about, but the name "earth elemental" did ring a bell. As Swamp shook out his pinched hand with a grimace, I turned back to snarl at Pollen. Except Pollen wasn't there. I whirled in a circle, looking for the spoiled brat, but then I heard loud clunking coming from the village.

"EMERGENCY! ASPEN CREATES AN EARTHQUAKE! ALL CITIZENS EVACUATE! EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY!" I fell to the ground and my eyes stopped glowing. Oh no. I thought, turning back to Swamp and Petal with a panicked look. What have I done?

The council murmured to one another, exchanging golden bowls full of grapes in front of me while I sat on moss, glowering at them. Finally, the council spoke lazily,

"So, Aspen...*smacks lips* We were thinking about your powers. Perhaps you know about the earth elemental already? Can I have a napkin, please? Thank you." Great forest spirits, does no one here have any dignity at all? I growled, but then remembered where I had heard about the earth elemental. There was a scroll in the library that Swamp had checked out and I had read a little bit of the scroll, only because I was dying of boredom.

"I do recall that name. Do you mean that..." I paused, and reality struck me like a lightning bolt. Oh my trees, I'm the earth elemental. I am one with the earth. I looked up at the council and they smirked at me.

"Oho, so you do know?" I nodded and the council leader, Boa, smiled a terribly scary smile.

"Well," He hissed, "You caused earthquakes, destroyed half of the village, and traumatized my daughter for life. Because of all these reasons, I hereby banish you. Never come back!"

Boa's shout echoed all across the chamber and from the corner of my eye, I spotted Swamp rising from his seat to protest, but Petal pulled him down, eyeing me with a teary gaze. Fine, I'll leave. I don't care. I managed a blank face as I exited the council chamber, but once I got out, I broke down. I fell to the ground, tears streaming down my face. I bit my tongue so hard that I tasted blood. I then wiped my tears, got up, and waved to my brother and sister, who were exiting the council chamber. We shared one last hug goodbye, and then I left, never looking back once.