Chapter Twenty Seven

When we picked up Steve and Dustin Steve asked me if I was okay enough to go visit Max today. I know that I'm probably not strong enough but I know that I need to be.

"Yeah.. I'm fine. I can handle it." I looked out the window while playing with Billy's ring just like Max used to do. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked to the backseat and Dustin was sending me a warm smile.

Dustin has always been there for me and I could never thank him enough for it honestly. I remember all the times I called Claudia and asked if Dustin could come over and have a movie night and he would be so excited to come over and eat pizza and snacks and whatever soda he wanted and watch the newest horror movies. Steve would always walk into the living room occasionally to check up on us and make sure we were okay and put blankets on us whenever we fell asleep. He's always been the little brother I've always wanted.

We pulled out of the parking lot and headed on our way to the hospital. I had tuned the music and everyone else out and just stared at the sunset, it was beautiful tonight. It was a perfect mix of pink and purple. I kept thinking of all the times me and Billy would be driving somewhere with Max and I would look in the rear view mirror with the sunlight on her face. Her red hair shined nicely and he blue eyes were piercing just like Billy's. They may have not been actual siblings but god did they care for each other at times. She treated me like a sibling too it's actually crazy how close we grew in the past two years she's been here.

I could feel my heart start to race as we pulled into the parking lot of the hospital. I didn't want to get out at all, I don't want to have to face the fact that Max isn't okay. I don't want to full comprehend it. I don't want reality to set in. I want to run away as fast as I can. I want to reverse time and protect Max when I should have. I should've been there with her, why did we allow three kids to go into that house alone. Why wasn't I with them making sure everything was okay and going according to plan but at the same time if I would've went with them Eddie would've died alone and I wouldn't have him by my side like he is now.

I still can't even understand the fact that all this happened because of a man who has daddy issues and is trying to get back at El. Everything that has happened with the upside down was because of him and his issues like man grow up. Maybe that pissed me off a bit too much because everyone stopped walking away from the car when I got out and slammed the car door closed "Don't break the damn door y/n" I rolled my eyes at Steve and walked to the front entrance of the hospital and up to the front desk "We're here to see Maxine Mayfield" The receptionist looked us up and down and had that I don't get paid enough to have concerns about what's going on.

They gave us bright yellow circle stickers that said "visitor" on it and told us the room number. Floor 4 room 11.  It felt like with every step that I took my lungs were collapsing. The lack of air and the pain/ tightness in my chest was making this experience worse. Eddie grabbed my hand ms gave it a reassuring squeeze with Dustin and Steve trailed behind us. They were trying to give me space which is sweet.

My free hand met the ice cold door knob and sent shivers down my spine. I let go of Eddie's hand and took one final deep breath before I opened up the door. It was quiet. Too quiet. The only sound that I could hear was the beeping from her heart monitor. It was freezing cold in here. I moved past the curtain and my eyes instantly flew to the redhead.

Her legs and arms were all covered in white casts. She had a neck brace on and had the tube in her nose. She had a tan fabric around her neck that was a splint for her right arm. My heart broke at the sight. My hand went over my mouth as the tears fell down my face. All the air was knocked out of my lungs. I couldn't move at all. I was too focused on Max to even realize that Lucas was sitting in the chair next to her bed. It was just him in here. Where's Susan.

I felt warm arms wrap around me as Lucas pulled me into a hug. I broke right there in his arm. My body went limp as I sobbed into his chest. He held me as tight as he could while rubbing my back. "The doctors said it was a miracle that she survived. Erica thinks that you two survived for each other." They don't know. El didn't tell them that she saved us. I pulled back away from Lucas's chest and wiped my face. "S-she really thinks that?" There was a softness to Lucas's eyes, a type of softness he's only shown to me once before. His eyes were normally soft but this is a different type of softness. The last time I saw this look in his eyes is after the Fourth of July. He nodded his head slowly.

His face was all swollen from when Jason and him fist fought while in the creel house. It's Jason's fault that Max is like this. If Jason wasn't there and wouldn't have caused problems then Lucas could've put Max's headphones on her and she could've got out like last time. I'm glad that asshole is dead. The boys were standing behind me observing me and and Lucas and then Max. We sat around for an hour or so. All the guys were talking while I just sat in the chair next to the bed and held her hand.

Above her bed was a drawing of two people in the movie theater, it looked like Lucas and Max. "We had a date planned for Friday to go to the movies." Lucas spoke up and I let my head fall and my forehead lightly touched the hospital bed.

I didn't say anything, I didn't know what to say. I feel guilty for not forcing myself to go with them like a responsible adult and I'm also mad that Jason messed everything up. I'm mad that I'm awake and Max isn't.

"Y/n it's getting late, we need to go." I don't want to leave her side, I want to be here when she wakes up. I need to tell her I'm sorry for not being there to help her and protect her. I shook my head no at Steve's request. "Sweetheart let's go. I promise that we can come up here as soon as visiting hours start." Eddie walked over to me and took my hand out of Max's and took it in his. He pulled me up out of the chair and started walking me to the door "I'll take her to the car, meet me out there whenever you guys are ready." With that he guided me out the room and out of the hospital.