94

"I'm trying to save Bambi's life and my interns think I'm a loser," Izzy announced as she pushed through the door of the procedure room Meredith was working in, preparing her patient's severed arm to be reattached. "Ooh, severed arm."

Meredith looked up. "I heard a nurse say something about a deer?"

"Yup. I have my own personal Bambi. Poor thing got hit by a car. The guy who found the arm brought it here. He wants to eat it. And I cannot sit back and let it die with his kid staring at me with those pleading eyes."

"No offense, Iz, but that might be why your interns think you're a loser."

"Whatever. How's the arm?"

"Good. Sloan said he could reattach it. I'm just cleaning it up."

"Great. Want to help me with Bambi after?"

"Nope. I'll be in surgery."

Izzy sighed, as if she hadn't expected support, and the door opened again before she could complain.

"Callie's a bitch," Alex announced as he entered the room. "She won't let me off my patient even though there's nothing wrong with him other than he's a nut job." He strode up to Meredith and Izzy. "Huh, severed arm."

"Want to help me with my deer?" Izzy asked.

Alex sent her a look that said everything.

Izzy glared back at him before turning to Meredith. "And how are you? Feeling better?"

Meredith sighed. "I'm sorry I snapped at you earlier. Both of you," she corrected, glancing at Alex too.

"When was this?" Alex asked.

Izzy huffed at him. "In the tunnels this morning. Catch up."

Alex shrugged. "I just assumed it was some chick crap. I try not to get involved."

Meredith had to laugh. "There's nothing to be involved in. I just wanted to say something."

"Like I said; if I listen, then I'm involved and-"

"It's nothing bad," Meredith said, cutting him off with a laughing huff, knowing Alex was pushing her buttons on purpose. "Why would you automatically assume what I had to say was bad?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Because it's you."

She glared at him. "Whatever. I've been there for all of you when you've needed someone to talk to you."

This made him smile. "Fine, Mer, what's your news?"

Meredith glanced at Alex and Izzy, who both seemed genuinely interested. Maybe this was her opportunity. "Derek and I-"

The door slammed open. "You got married?" Cristina exclaimed, standing in the doorway.

Meredith sighed. This was what she had been afraid might happen.

"You what?" Izzy cried.

"We got married," Meredith confirmed.

"Will you tell me why I had to find out through your sister?" Cristina demanded.

"She's not my sister."

"Derek seems to think she is. She was even calling him her brother-in-law."

"What? Why would she-"

"Back up," Izzy cut her off. "You got married? And what sister?"

Meredith sighed. "Apparently my half-sister is Cristina's intern."

"Who I had to hear the news from," Cristina cut in.

"And whose fault is that?"

"Why didn't you tell me?"