24

Derek slowed as he approached his patient's room, his two new roommates on his heels, and steeled himself for the assault he had been subjected to for three days now. The high-powered divorce attorney had come in for brain mapping, in an effort to find a surgical 'fix' for her seizure disorder, which was interfering with her career. However, it had been three long days filled with snarky comments, offhand remarks and glares...and not one seizure.

He took a breath, determined to get his check over with as quickly and painless as possible, and entered the room, a fake smile plastered to his face. "Good morning, Miss Graver."

Decked out in a black SmartCap with red leads, briefcase and laptop strewn in front of her, his patient glanced up at him. "Oh really, good morning? You haven't let me sleep in three nights and this ridiculous hat is destroying my self-esteem and I still haven't had a seizure..."

Derek turned his back to the patient, his eyes sweeping over the EEG waves in the monitor before him for far longer than necessary in an attempt to avoid further confrontation. He sighed when she kept on talking.

"...But, sure, we'll go with 'good morning' if it makes you feel better about yourself."

Derek ignored her statements and glanced at his interns. Izzy was unsuccessfully trying to bite back a smile and George looked taken aback. "Miss Graver is here for brain mapping, doctor Stevens," he prompted.

Izzy jumped in immediately, expertly explaining the purpose of the SmartCap and Miss Graver's reason for being kept in the hospital.

"Excellent," Derek replied absently, his attention still on the monitor as opposed to his patient. He was almost disheartened that everything was normal. Every EEG wave from ever electrode was well within normal range, short spiky beta waves appearing across the screen on ever line.

"Excellent, except for the fact that it's not working," Miss Graver cut in. "And I'm loosing billable hours." She paused. "Unless any of you are looking to get out of a bad marriage? Dr. Shepherd?"

"Yes?" He finally turned to face her, only to realize his mistake. "No," he corrected.

"Are you sure."

He pasted another fake smile to his face and nodded. "I've already done that."

She clicked her tongue. "Dr. Shepherd, I'm hurt that I'm finding this out now. Who'd you use? I could have gotten you more."

He bit back a smirk. "I wasn't looking for anything, just to get out."

"Seriously, tell me, who'd you use?"

Derek shook his head. "I'm sorry, Miss Graver, but we're not here to discuss me."

"Fine; but promise to call me the next time."

He almost laughed at her tenacity. "There won't be a next time."

"Everyone thinks that," she countered.

"Yes, but I know it."

"Good luck to you, then. Just keep my name in mind." She turned to Izzy and George. "What about you two? Either of you need a good divorce attorney?"

They both shook their heads and Derek quickly ushered them out of the room. He stopped when they were around the corner, out of view, and breathed a sigh of relief at having got that conversation over with for the day. He could only hope the woman would seize soon. "Okay, guys," he said, turning to his interns. "I need you to make her seize."

"Make her seize? How do we make someone seize?" Izzy questioned.

"Do your research, get creative."

"But...if all the normal methods have failed, what are we supposed to do?" George asked gently.