83

Derek jolted awake at the sound of a knock coming from the wrong side of the bedroom. He sat up and ran his hands over his face, trying to make sense of his surroundings, and as the darkened room around him gradually came into focus, he realized why the knock had sounded from the wrong side of the bed; because he wasn't at home. This wasn't the bed or the room he shared with Meredith.

He sighed heavily; trying to take solace in the fact that he had, at the very least, finally gotten some sleep.

The alarm clock beside the bed showed it was a little after midnight.

The knock sounded again.

He shook his head and swung his legs over the side of the mattress, before reaching to turn on the lamp. It was probably one of the kids. Hopefully he would be able to send them back to bed quickly, and would be able to finally get back to sleep. Standing, he stretched his stiff limbs, and headed for the door.

Swinging open the door, he furrowed his brow at the sight of his brother-in-law standing in the hallway where he had expected a child.

"Scott. I thought you were one of the kids."

Scott raised an eyebrow, a smirk playing across his face. "What gave me away?"

Derek shook his head as he fought back a yawn. "Look, man, I haven't slept in three days and-"

"We found something on the porch," Scott said, cutting him off.

Derek ran a hand across his face, suddenly wondering if this was all a dream. "You found something on the porch." He repeated, hoping the statement would make more sense if he repeated it.

It didn't.

Scott nodded. "Something I think you're missing."

"What are you talking about?"

Scott stepped back, and tilted his head to the side, motioning for Derek to look down the hall.

Derek took a cautious step forward and craned his head to see past his doorway.

And, as he sucked in a breath, he was sure he was dreaming.

Meredith stood in the hallway next to his sister, clutching her shoulder bag, a suitcase beside her.

He blinked, and she was still there. "Mer..."

Scott nodded. "Now that we've established she's not a remarkably smart and well-researched burglar, making up a story to get into the house, we can go to bed."

"But..." Meg began, only to trail off when he husband grabbed her hand and tugged her gently towards their room.

"You can get to know her in the morning. It's late and they need time."

Derek barely heard the short conversation. The next thing he knew, he was moving towards Meredith without any conscious decision to do so. His arms found their way around her waist and closed tightly.

Without any delay, Meredith's arms snaked just as tightly around his neck. "Derek..." she murmured.

He closed his eyes and buried his face into the crook of her neck, breathing her in. "You're here," he whispered. "You're here."

Her arms tightened around his neck as she pulled herself even closer to him. "I'm so sorry, Derek. I'm sorry. I'm sorry..." Her voice cracked, sounding like she was about to cry. "I'm so sorry..."

His heart constricted at her broken tone, and he pulled away. "Come on," he murmured, reaching for the handle of her suitcase with one hand and guiding her into the privacy of his bedroom with the other.