75

When Meredith opened her eyes she was warm and comfortable and happy. Derek's arm was hooked loosely over her abdomen and his bare chest was pressed against her back. Their legs were intertwined. The trailer mattress was just as comfortable as she had remembered, and the air around them was crisp and clear. The light from the rising sun was encroaching just enough to catch the ring on her left hand, the sparkle catching her eyes.

Everything was perfect.

But Meredith knew what she would have to do today. She closed her eyes and revelled for a long moment, absorbing all the happiness and warmth and strength that she could, because she knew she would need it for what she had to do that morning. For what she knew they both needed to do. The previous evening on the ferry had been challenging, but it wasn't enough. There was one particular item on their list that needed to be addressed. And it needed to be addressed now, before they went away, so that they could check off another item when they were away.

She was determined not to let her accident affect her future; their future.

With a deep breath, she shifted in Derek's arms, stretching her legs down against his. "Derek..." She mumbled.

He mumbled something incomprehensible in response.

She smiled as he buried his face in the back of her neck. Of the two, he was definitely the morning person; always bright and annoying cheerful when they were up for work long before the sun. He had trouble sleeping in while within the city limits, but here, out in the wilderness at his trailer, he slept deeper. Once, much earlier in their relationship, she had woken before him, had a shower and set to making breakfast without him so much as twitching. He had only woken when a string of curses reached his ears from the kitchen. She hadn't been allowed to cook breakfast unattended after that...

"Derek," she cooed. "Time to wake up."

He growled and shook his head.

She giggled and turned in his arms. "It's late."

He slowly opened one eye, and then the other. "Sometimes I don't like your internal intern alarm..."

She laughed and kissed him. "Me neither. But it's not that early, so you can't blame it this morning."

With a groan, he leaned in to kiss her again.

She kissed him back, but stopped him before a third kiss could be initiated. "You need to brush your teeth."

He made a face, and kissed her cheek before rolling away and heading for the bathroom.

Slowly getting out of bed herself, Meredith shivered at the sudden blast of cold air against her bare body. She pulled on her panties and the shirt Derek had been wearing the day before. She did up two buttons and wandered into the kitchen.

They had brought enough food with them to get through their one day weekend. Fishing through the fridge, she pulled out the eggs and other ingredients he would use to make them omelettes and set them on the counter.

Derek exited the bathroom wearing boxers and an old college tee. His eyes heated as they took in her appearance. Her tousled hair. Her body; bare save for his shirt.

She breathed, still taken aback by the intensity of his stares at times. She had never been so wanted before. So cherished.

"Your turn," he finally said, his voice rough.

She scooted past him and into the bathroom, quickly using the toilet and washing her hands before reaching for her toothbrush. She brushed for longer than usual, staring into her own gaze as she tried to convince herself of what she needed to do today. Derek wouldn't want to do it, she knew. She would have to convince them both. It was necessary, but she knew she would want to back out when the time came.