63

"Looking good, Grey."

Meredith offered a small smile to her resident. "Does that mean I get to come back to work?"

"You can come back Monday morning," Bailey conceded. Meredith was in for her check-up, almost two weeks following her near drowning incident.

She smiled wider. "Good."

"You sound too eager, Grey."

Her eyes found Derek's form. He was across the small exam room, examining her latest chest x-ray as if it were a complicated CT. It was quite obvious to even the untrained eye that there were rib fractures, but it was obvious to the trained eye that the fractures were beginning to heal, and that no fragments had subluxed or migrated. But, apparently, Derek was not taking anything for granted. It was as if he were looking for a problem.

"I think it would be good for him, if I come back to work," Meredith whispered to Bailey, motioning her head towards Derek. He had been better the previous day; no more desperate marriage proposals. She hadn't been able to make him go into work, so they had driven out to spend the day at the trailer. It had been therapeutic, but not all-healing.

"He does seem tense." Miranda shook her head at her superior's upright posture. "Dr. Shepherd, do you plan on joining our discussion, or does that x-ray require another ten minutes of analysis?"

Derek sighed and turned. "I just want to make sure everything is okay."

Bailey shook her head. "It's a very simple x-ray and it's fine. I see that, and Grey sees that. Now leave it alone and get over here."

He hinted at a smile. "Worried I don't trust your medical expertise, Miranda?"

"Just get over here."

"Be nice to her," Meredith chastised when he stepped up beside her, his hand finding the small of her back. "She's letting me come back to work."

"That's good, as long as you feel up to-"

"I feel fine."

He nodded, his expression still apprehensive, but believing. "Just making sure."

"Don't harass your girlfriend, Derek. She's right. She's healing perfectly, and is completely ready to come back to work."

Meredith nodded her agreement, grateful for her resident's insistence; knowing she was doing it for Derek's benefit.

"I would hardly call that harassment..." He said lightly. The light was slowly coming back on in his eyes. He was gradually beginning to trust that she still was (and would continue to be) there. The humour inside him was slowly emerging once more. And Meredith was grateful. She missed the humour; especially the banter.

"Do you have any other questions?" Bailey asked her intern.

"Just one; what time do I start?"

Bailey shook her head. "Come in for rounds, but I don't want you staying late. No extended shifts for at least a week, and if you're getting tired, take a break."

"Okay," she agreed quickly, shifting off of the exam table to stand on the floor.

"Grey, I need your word."

Meredith rolled her eyes. "I promise."

Derek felt he was breathing easier than he had all week. After Meredith's check-up, they had stopped for a bite to eat at one of their favourite restaurants before heading home. And even though he could tell she was lagging a bit, she was happy and animated about going back to work.

His chest no longer constricted painfully at the thought of being away from her for even a short time. All of her results were as positive as could be expected; he had double and triple checked himself. She was healing, and she would be back to normal soon; no permanent effects.