C1: New Beginning

Jennie Kim moved from Korea to New Zealand to start a new beginning after a devastating heartbreak

Jennie Kim moved from Korea to New Zealand to start a new beginning after a devastating heartbreak. Jennie was in a more than 3-year abusive relationship with Kai when she finally had the courage to break it off with him. And Kai being dangerously selfish and obsessive, she had to quietly leave the country and asked her friends not to reveal to him her plans, new address, and phone number. Jennie needed to cut him off completely even though it was painful because she was deeply in love with him. But he hurt and damaged her so badly that she started to believe love doesn't exist. She completely lost trust in anyone anymore, including herself.

Jennie is an independent woman, not afraid to be alone, but that doesn't mean she's not lonely inside especially she just had the most painful break-up 3 months ago. She wished to meet new friends, true and reliable ones. But the problem with her is, she is an introvert who doesn't take the initiative to smile, to greet someone hello, nor start a conversation – she waits for the other person to do the job first. And she dreads small talk. You need to be either very smart, very interesting and cool to talk to, and/or very funny for her to notice and remember you. Because anybody can act nice.

Jennie went everywhere she thinks she can meet decent people who can potentially become her friends. She went to the library, bad idea because everyone is busy reading their books and studying. She went to the dog park, another bad idea because people looked at her weird whenever she wants to pet their dogs. She thought New Zealanders are supposed to be super nice and friendly? Maybe she just came across people who decided to be grumpy that day.

"Ok. The church is the best place to meet nice people." Jennie thought, determined to meet new friends other than her annoying roommate who loves to tease her. The church is her last resort, her very last option. So, she drove to the nearest church and cursed herself for being late, now she has no choice but to park in the side street.

She hurriedly got out of her dark gray Honda CRV when she realized she forgot her wallet and phone in the car. She groaned and eyerolled to herself for her stupidity as she walked back to her car when a silver Audi TT Coupe parked in front of her car and noticed a tall, blonde-haired girl exiting the car.

Jennie immediately brisk walked as soon as she got her things because she doesn't want to deal with people today. Okay, it's just one blonde haired girl, but still, she just doesn't want to deal with anyone today.

Funny how Jennie initially thought of going to church to meet nice people and new friends, right? That's how introverted she is or maybe it's her anxiety of meeting new people in a foreign country – adjusting to new culture, lifestyle, and mostly the pressure to be liked and accepted. Or maybe there's something more.

"Hey! Hey, miss! Please wait!", the blonde girl called her. Jennie being nice, she stopped and turned around to acknowledge the other girl. And this is the first time she ever sees the blonde's face – extremely beautiful with soft and magnetic doe eyes, cute button nose, fluffy cheeks, kissable plump lips, and an angelic smile. A smile that can heal a soul she thought to herself. She was instantly and deeply mesmerized.

"Uh, can we park here? I'm just curious because I'm worried of getting towed.", the gorgeous blonde girl asked, scratching her nape.

Jennie quickly regained her thoughts from wonderland back to Earth, "I don't know. I see cars parked in the side street." She looked around and the blonde did the same. "I guess we're alright?", Jennie added before her anxiety dictated her legs to move quickly to avoid the gorgeous blonde girl and she didn't know why.

"Ok, makes sense. They can't tow 50 cars in an hour, can they?", the gorgeous blonde girl chuckled, then quickly called again, "Wait!", she tried to catch up. Since the gorgeous blonde girl has longer legs and Jennie's are shorter, she quickly matched Jennie's walking pace.

"I'm late! I mean, obviously we are both late. Can I please walk with you to the church? I don't want to get attention when I open the huge creaking door while the priest is doing his sermon. At least I have someone to share an embarrassing moment." The gorgeous blonde girl joked. She was trying to make a conversation and make Jennie feel at ease. However, Jennie wasn't even listening to her; she only heard the, "Can I please walk with you?" part because she was freaking out right now.

Again, Jennie doesn't know why the blonde's presence is making her uneasy, her heartbeat fast. "Yeah, sure! We can walk together.", she coldly replied, looked straight ahead, she refused to look at the gorgeous blonde girl beside her.

"Thanks! By the way, I'm new here I just moved from the US. How about you? I haven't seen you here before.", the friendly gorgeous blonde girl asked, not even aware of Jennie's anxiety.

"I just moved here a month ago from Korea." She boringly replied, trying to turn off the gorgeous blonde girl so she leaves her alone.

"Nice! I moved here 4 months ago and I'm still looking for new friends and I thought the church is the best place to meet nice friends." The happy gorgeous blonde girl flashed her adorable bright like the sun smile.

"Cool.", Jennie flatly responded, she tried to speed up her walk, but she fails every time because of her short legs.

Jennie is usually not like this. Yes, she is introverted, but she's usually confident, smart, and interesting to talk to. But, this day, for some reason this certain gorgeous blonde girl is making her nervous as hell, that she just cannot find herself to talk and sound cool.

"Are you Korean? Because I have met few Korean nurses in the hospital I used to work before moving here, and my bestfriend is also Korean. And I tell you, you guys are the nicest, and your foods are ah-may-ziiing!", she genuinely and exaggeratedly complimented. The gorgeous blonde is trying her best to hold a conversation because she just wants to have a damn friend. It's been 4 months of being alone and bored for God's sake!

For the second time, Jennie looked at her and showed her cute gummy smile, "Why thank you for appreciating us and our foods! Where are you from originally? If you don't mind me asking." she finally asked the gorgeous blonde girl.

"Ohmygod! Gamjatang is the best! I'm originally from Thailand.", the blonde felt happy of the small progress. 'Yay! Road to new friendship!', the gorgeous blonde girl internally cheered.

Their conversation was cut short when Jennie opened the huge door and it indeed creaked open, making people and the priest to turn their attention to them. The gorgeous blonde girl was hiding behind her; it was useless as she's 4 inches taller than the short girl. Jennie lowered her head due to embarrassment and quickly made her way to the closest bench that can fit 2 people. The gorgeous blonde girl followed and sat beside her.

Jennie stiffened as soon as she felt the gorgeous blonde girl's left thigh and shoulder touch her right side. She was surprised to feel an electricity run through her spine and weird knots in her stomach, but after a couple of minutes, she started to like the feeling of the gorgeous blonde girl being this literally close to her, her body heat makes her feel oddly safe and comfortable, BUT her heart is still racing. At this point, she's terrified and confused of her thoughts and mixed feelings. She has never felt something like this before, especially to a girl.

"As soon as the mass ends, I am running out of here and will not see her ever again." She was pre-planning her escape in her head, she wanted relief and clarity from her confusion, and that is to keep away from the gorgeous blonde girl.
_________

The mass ended and she almost perfectly executed her plan when she took the opposite route instead of following the gorgeous blonde girl's lead to go to the nearest exit door where there's less traffic.

Jennie intentionally mixed herself to the crowd for the gorgeous blonde girl to lose sight of her. As soon as she stepped out of the church, she looked back and saw no sign of gorgeous blonde girl in sight. She felt relieved and walked relaxedly to her car when...

"Hey! Hey, you!"...