XXXIII: A Promise

XXXIII: A Promise

Third POV

Izuku felt so stupid.

Right now he was currently in his hospital bed, merely picking at his hospital food, just thinking about his earlier interaction with Katsuki.

He'd recalled that moment in the hospital garden at least a hundred times ever since Katsuki had left.

Izuku stared deep into Katsuki's eyes, waiting for the man to say something, anything. But no, he still kept that stoic look on his face making Izuku all the more nervous.

When he'd managed to regain his confidence Izuku spoke, yet his words never reached his own ears, as the next thing he knew Katsuki had placed a kiss on his cheek and let go of him, heading back inside.

If he was recalling properly, Keiko was with Bakugo's parents for the meanwhile.

He was still with the other pros of his former class prepping and gearing up for the early morning raid. Because that's when it's supposedly best to get it started.

He stared down at his phone, the screen illuminated Katsuki's contact number.

He knew what he said, and didn't think now would be the time to call him back.

"But marriage...?" Izuku whispered to himself, thinking about the sudden marriage proposal.

He really hoped Katsuki didn't take his sudden words as a 'I don't love you' type of response which was completely wrong. He loved Keiko and he'd been in love with Katsuki for so long.

So for him to say, "I need to think about this." Felt like a slap to the face for both of them. Izuku placed his food aside and tugged his blanket so it'd cover his body more.

Was he wrong to feel so jumbled up inside?

Katsuki was asking for marriage after all and they hadn't even dated for over a year, and Izuku had barely started to move in. So much had happened between them that maybe it made up for not having longevity.

Maybe he'd have better luck in the morning...

. . . Next Morning . . .

Izuku's sleep wasn't an easy one, getting a call from Katsuki around 4:00 am, though he was already needing a reason to wake up.

"Hello?" Izuku's voice rang on the phone, "How's it going?"

The background noise of special equipment made it hard to hear on Katsuki's end, which told Izuku that the raid was sooner than he thought.

"We're suiting up now and the heavy armored trucks are coming to get us within thirty minutes from now," Katsuki answered, "I just want to know if I still had your back if I don't make it back to Keiko."

Izuku pinched his lip before he let out a sigh,

"Yeah, of course you do," Izuku nodded to himself, "I love Keiko and I'll gladly watch her."

"Thanks..." Katsuki's voice trailed off, leaving just their breathing on the line.

Izuku flipped over, looking down at his ring once more.