Chapter 86 | Farewell

Start from the beginning

"Son," he whispers in my ear and I try to calm myself down. After getting my breath back, I look up at him- thousands of tears flowing down his cheeks. But he is not crying, just tears of regret, loss, and loneliness. "I am sorry, Uncle. I am sorry she is sick, I am sorry she is suffering-"

"Jungkook, don't be," I wonder about his strength. I wonder how strong he is. Even at times, people expect men to act mature and tough because losers cry. But right now, he is an ideal man for me. The way he is handling everything, lying all day long on the hospital benches waiting for his daughter to wake up. I may have forgotten but he has suffered enough loss. He loses the love of his life, and now when I am in his place, nobody can understand better. We share the same tragedy, how unfortunate.

"We have one more week, Jungkook."

"One week?" I ask, baffled. And then he was the one crying badly. The flashbacks of reaching the hospital and seeing him lying unconscious on the floor were still afresh, and when he woke up and cried as if he had never cried before. I don't know if he felt lonely, or fearful. I just don't know.

"Uncle? Please tell me?" My panicked voice reverberates in the room, shaking out of terror. He cleans his face and sadly stares at the floor.

"Dong Woo told me," he says amidst his sobbing. "If she doesn't come out of her coma in a week," And as if he is going to break up again, he says it in one go. "Her brain is going to die. She will die, Jungkook."

Staring at him in disbelief, my mind stopped processing everything. This is not right, he is lying. He is definitely lying.

"Uncle-"my voice doesn't come out of the lump stuck in my throat. He just stares blankly at the ground. His gaze is hollow. I tremble and fall to my back, still in shock. I wish I would have died before hearing this. I am out of my mind. I look up at Uncle once again.

Reassure me, reassure me. Tell me there's hope. Tell me anything.

But, he doesn't. He doesn't know himself. He is as blank as I am. I can't lose her like this. I will fight for her, I'll bring her back. But I don't know. I don't know-how. Seeing her on the hospital bed was enough for me, I can't see her anywhere else, I don't want to.

I don't want to.

Day 38...

With my body shrieking in pain, I head towards the room, my steps heavy. I bother not to knock as everybody is outside. Uncle Joon is finally taking a nap in the side room after staying awake for two whole days. The tiredness makes him look even older, and right now, everything is at stake. He has so much to lose.

I slide the door and close it after me, but there's already someone in there. I peek through the partitioned compartment to find two nurses around her. One of them was buttoning her shirt, and they suddenly glanced at me.

"Oh, I am sorry. I didn't know you were changing her clothes," I exclaim, my mouth babbling.

"That's fine. We are done, anyways." The nurse gives a light smile and I nod, my eyes fixed on her face. Hana is wearing a pink gown, her face glowing under the lights. Meanwhile, I stood at a corner for the nurses to complete their tasks, and a phone rang. The nurse takes it out and places the phone against her ear, her expression went worrisome. She instantly hangs up and looks at the other nurse who's already staring.

"Mrs. Jonas had a heart attack, I need to go." The nurse runs away as fast as she could, while we both stare at her. I look back at the nurse, who's removing her gloves with sadness all over her face.

"Is everything alright?" I ask.

"Oh yes, it's just," she looks down, sighing heavily. "Mrs. Jonas was our patient for two months. This was her last straw."