MBIAW - Chapter Twenty-Five

Wednesday, October 7th, 2020

Kina's POV

"Daddy, can you help me over to the bed?"

"Of course, Kina."

After my dad helped me onto the bed, I pulled the cover over my face and cried until my eyes hurt.

My mom tried to pull the covers away, but I didn't let her.

"Please, I just want to be alone. Mom, can you take Natalia for a walk? I want to be alone now."

I immediately began crying again as soon as Pops and my parents walked out of the room. I can't believe I am a widow after being married for just one year. ONE FREAKING YEAR!

I no longer have my husband. Natalia will NEVER see her dad. Is this a nightmare?!

Someone walked into the room. "Whoever you are, please leave me alone. I'm not in the mood to be watched or stared at!"

Whoever it was didn't say a word. They sat on my bed and peeled back the cover. It was Jayce. He was crying too as he pulled me into a hug. The floodgates of my tears fell onto Jayce's shirt.

"I'm so sorry, Kina. I tried to do all that I could to save Dario."

"Jayce, I am a widow after being married for one year. And, I know you tried to help Dario. I'm not upset or mad at you. When I signed up to be a bodyguard, one of the questions that Pops asked me several times was 'Am I willing to risk my life to protect another?' My answer was yes every time. I know for sure he asked Dario. Being a bodyguard is a dangerous line of work, but I love it. Dario loved it too. Jayce, what happened at the hotel?"

I held on tight to Jayce as he answered my question.

"It happened so fast. We were waiting for the Escalade at the valet stand. All of a sudden, shots were fired in our direction. We all dropped to the ground. But when I glanced at Dario, I saw that he was shot in the chest. I tried to contain the bleeding but I couldn't. I watched my friend die before my eyes. Those bullets were meant for me. I know it. Once again, someone I care about gets hurt."

Jayce and I became quiet while continuing to hug each other. He needs support too. How can I be so calm after hearing that my husband of one year is dead?

"Jayce, stop it. It hurts so much that Dario passed away. Natalia will never get to spend time with her dad. I would have felt the same pain if it was you. You're one of my best friends."

"You consider me to be one of your best friends?"

"Yes, I do. We may have started off on the wrong foot, but look at us now? Jayce, like I said, you need support too."

"You're special, Kina. Always remember that."

******

12:00 pm

Jayce's POV

Kina cried herself to sleep about an hour ago. Natalia is in her bassinet, asleep as well. I couldn't sleep after witnessing Dario's murder. That's exactly what it was because whoever did this was intent on killing someone. They will pay for what they have done.

I postponed my trip to my parent's house. I talked to my mother, who was terrified and upset about what happened. I told her I was okay physically. But mentally is a whole different story.

Kina's mom came into the room.

"Jayce, son, what are your parents' names? We'll have them picked up from the airport."