Chapter Twenty-Nine

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

After the fire, several days passed with no supernatural issues aside from more people spotting Giles Corey pointing to the center of town. That was why Shooter was expecting a fairly normal night when Danny dragged him and Johnny out drinking.

They were on their way to the bar when they heard screams coming from the Howard Street Cemetery. "I'm guessing Giles said hello to someone," Shooter said. "I'd better check this out."

Danny and Johnny followed him to the edge of the cemetery. A terrified figure stood pointing at the cemetery and shrieking. Giles Corey glared at her and rolled his eyes.

"Oh no," Shooter groaned as he recognized Ruby Vasco. She continued to scream as she stared at the ghost.

"Is that...?" Danny asked.

"The mortal with the healthiest lungs and worst luck in Salem?" Shooter finished for him. "Yep. Excuse me."

As Shooter moved to zap her, Johnny grabbed his hand. "Shooter... No," he said with a patient but firm expression on his face.

Shooter! We do not zap the mortals! Tammy's voice scolded him in his mind. He sighed at the memory, but he didn't send the energy at Ruby.

Danny moved in front of her. "Everything's alright now, uh..." He began.

"Ruby," Shooter supplied.

"Ruby. You didn't see anything unusual. You're going to continue on your way now, Ruby."

Ruby nodded slowly before calmly walking away with a peaceful expression on her face. "Oh, so I can't zap her, but Danny can use vampire parlor tricks on her?" Shooter asked.

"Trancing her doesn't hurt her," Danny pointed out. He turned toward Giles Corey. "Maybe don't scare the screamers next time, Pal."

Giles glared at him in response before pointing to the center of town. Johnny moved closer to the spirit. "What's coming, Mr. Corey?" He asked patiently. Giles turned toward him and frowned before pointing at his chest. He followed this up by pointing at Danny's.

     "Is he cursing us? I don't really feel like developing a heart or blood disorder," Danny whined.

     Giles looked at Shooter before opening his mouth. "Miss Tammy says to watch over these two," he said very clearly. Shooter nearly fainted from shock. "They be on a list none wish to join."

      "Can you see her?" Shooter asked. "Is she here now?"

      "Aye, she lingers. Be warned, Boy. The time is nearly upon us." With that, Giles vanished.

     "Well, that was mildly alarming," Danny said after a minute.

     "Danny... Maybe we should cancel our plans tonight," Johnny replied.

     "No way. If we're about to face our probable demises, I think that's more of a reason to live while we can. Besides, we just met the ghost of Giles Corey. I think that's an excellent reason to have a couple of drinks."

     "But-"

     "You're not getting out of this, Johnny. You need a drink almost as much as Shooter does. If we cancelled our plans every time the apocalypse was upon us, we'd never have any fun."

     "He's got a point there, Johnny," Shooter agreed.

     "Fine, you win," Johnny conceded.

     "I always do," Danny replied with a grin. "Drinks are on me, Gentlemen." He led them back to the path they'd been headed down before they'd heard Ruby scream and life continued as usual.