Chapter Twenty-Six

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Evan realized how much time had passed when all of the surviving lions had been treated and moved to a safer location. Nick, Lexie, Kwame and Belinda had stayed with them, while Evan, Kurt, Ava, and Eddie had gone back in case anyone else needed help.

"Where the hell are Jesse and Logan?" Evan demanded aloud.

"I don't think they're here anymore," Eddie replied. "I can't smell anyone, just lingering scents from earlier, and the blood."

"We need to get inside, just in case," Kurt said. Evan knew where his mind had gone.

Jesse and Logan might be dead, Evan thought. He tried to mentally prepare himself for that. Logan was all the wererats had left, and Jesse... As much of a pain in his ass as Jesse was, Evan couldn't let anything happen to him. He was part of the Silver Society. He was Evan's friend... Sort of. And Aideen would never forgive him if he brought home a corpse.

"Thea wants the bodies of the lions recovered anyway," Ava added. "If the hunters are gone, we should see if they left them behind."

They moved inside together. The dead lions were still there, but nothing seemed to be alive in the building. "Kurt, call the Unit," Evan said. "Let them know there are a bunch of dead werelions whose bodies need to be brought home. Ava, Eddie, come with me... We need to see if the hunters left anything behind."

We need to see if Jesse and Logan are still here, he added silently. If they were gone, that probably meant they were still alive.

They searched the entire property, but there was no sign of the hunters, the surviving warlocks, or Jesse and Logan. Evan felt relieved as he realized the hunters had most likely taken them alive.

"The trail ends here," Eddie said. "They must have used some sort of portal spell to escape. There's no way to track where they've gone."

Ava smiled as she picked up a long piece of black hair. "Actually, there is," she replied. "This belongs to their pyro."

"How do you know that?" Evan asked.

"It vibrates with fire magick. I can work with this... I just need to get some supplies and then I can use it for a divination spell."

     "Alright, then let's get this girl a cauldron and some candles," Eddie quipped.

    "I'll also need ground ivy, a bit of marigold, a little mugwort, and some wormwood."

"We'll go to Nick's place," Eddie replied. "I've got a key, and he's got a huge stock of pretty much every herb known to man. We're both practicing witches, but Nick's more traditional than me, and he likes using herbs because then he can tell himself it's science, not magick. I mostly just shout my intentions to whatever deity feels right and focus on making those intentions manifest into reality, but it's still effective."

Ava laughed. "Hey, whatever works, right?" She asked.

Kurt joined them. "Jesse and Logan aren't here?" He asked.

"They're gone," Evan confirmed.

"Thank Gods... Skip's sending a crew in to retrieve the lions, and another one to clean up the mess."

"Good. We're headed to Nick's. Ava thinks she can track them with some herbs and other supplies."

"Great. Let's do this."

Together, they headed to Nick's house. Evan just hoped the spell would work and they'd find Jesse and Logan in time.

~*~