Chapter Twenty-One

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Night had fallen over Salem. Cassandra and Kurt were out patrolling, which for them was like a date, but with the possibility of blood. That was how they both liked it.

The last thing Cassandra expected was to see an apparition at the Howard Street Cemetery. She didn't typically see spirits. As soon as she spotted the elderly man, she knew who he was. He stared at her for a moment before looking toward the center of town.

"Um... Cassie?" Kurt asked. "Should we be concerned?"

"Giles Corey is roaming the Howard Street Cemetery. Yes, Kurt... We should be very concerned," Cassandra replied.

"Mr. Corey!" Skip called as he and Susie came running toward them. "We know you're here to warn us, Sir. What's coming?"

Giles scowled at him. Susie waved at him cheerfully. "Hi, Sir. I'm Susie," she informed him. "I'm a big fan."

Giles looked at Susie like she had three heads before gazing at the center of town again.

"Skip, wouldn't a medium or necromancer be more appropriate here than the two of you?" Cassandra asked.

"We just buried our best medium," Skip replied sadly.

"Look, I'm sorry Tammy's gone, but you do have others on the payroll. Hell, call a Reaper. I'm sure Aideen would love to chat up Giles Corey."

"She was the one who told us he was here. He didn't talk to her."

"Come on, Mr. Corey," Susie coaxed him. "Tell us what's going on."

    Giles didn't acknowledge her. Instead, he moved closer to Kurt. He pointed toward him.

    "Me?" Kurt asked. "Is something going to happen to me?"

    Giles shook his head. He pointed to Susie, then Skip. Then, he looked back at Kurt, clearly waiting for him to catch on.

    "Evan," Cassandra said suddenly.

    "What about him?" Kurt asked.

     "He pointed to siblings. He's trying to tell you something about Evan."

    Giles almost smiled as he looked at Cassandra and she knew she was right. Then, something flashed in his eyes. He looked a bit sad as he studied her. He shook his head before vanishing.

    "What the hell was all of that about?" Kurt mumbled.

    Cassandra had a feeling she knew. "Evan's in danger. When whatever is coming happens, he'll be a target," she said. She didn't add the rest of what she'd realized. Silently, she thought, Evan will be a target... And so will I.

~*~

Lenny's funeral was private. The wererats were all in attendance, along with the heads of other lycanthrope groups and many of their people. A twelve-year-old lycanthrope being murdered just for existing was the kind of thing that brought a brief ceasefire to warring packs. Everyone had come to pay their respects.

Jesse wasn't officially part of any pack, but he had ties to many lycanthrope groups. He studied the others in attendance and wondered how he was going to keep all of them safe. After all, he was Rhiannon's son. She was the main Goddess of the lycanthropes, and that meant Jesse outranked everyone else there. He liked to ignore his status as a royal polywere, but at the moment, as everyone kept stealing glances at him, he knew he couldn't do that anymore.

"Jesse... May I have a word with you?" Kwame Washington asked.

Jesse knew Kwame fairly well. He'd been trying to get Jesse to join the wolf pack ever since his first transformation. Kwame was in his late thirties and had been in charge of the wolf pack since he was fourteen when he challenged the former Alpha and killed him. Unlike his predecessor, Kwame was a good, fair leader who took care of his people no matter what.