Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR

Panic raced through Alex as he realized the message, vague as it had been, had cut off. He knew it was Cierra, but now he couldn't hear her. He couldn't even feel her. What had happened?

Throwing on his army jacket, Alex was nearly out the door before Jesse and a very sleepy Melissa grabbed him. "What's wrong?" Jesse asked.

"Cierra. She's in trouble," Alex replied.

"Must be Tuesday," Melissa mumbled. "Sorry. I said that out loud, didn't I?"

"I'll come with you," Jesse said automatically. He was still dressed. He'd had no intention of sleeping after the crime scene earlier.

"I don't know what we're walking into. It's too dangerous," Alex replied.

"Then I'll come, too," Melissa decided. "You need us." She threw a jacket on over her pajamas, not bothering to change. Somehow, Melissa looked perfectly normal walking the streets of Salem in her pajamas.

"Where to?" Jesse asked.

"That's a good question. I think she might still have been at school. Let's head over to the college and see if we find anything."

"I swear, if she got herself stuck inside of another evil textbook, I'm leaving her in it this time," Jesse mumbled. "No offense, Alex. But she should have learned her lesson on that one."

"I just want to find her. I don't care what happened. She needs us. I heard her, Jesse... And Cierra's telepathy is limited, at best. For her to reach out... She was terrified." Alex looked like he felt pretty terrified himself.

"We'll find her, Man. I'll have Dylan meet us. I'm sure she's fine."

"Call Cassandra, too."

"No problem. Let's hurry up and get over there."

~*~

The room was dark. Someone was there with her. Jade struggled to see who might be lurking in the shadows. Finally, she caught a flash of blue eyes. She knew those eyes.

"Joey?" She called. She knew it wasn't her son, but the only other person who had them was not a possibility.

"No," his voice whispered. "Try again, Green."

Jade sat straight up in her bed and stared into the darkness. "Who are you?" She demanded.

"You know who I am," he replied.

"No, I do not. Get out of here."

"Come on, Green. You know me. You know me better than anyone else."

"Go away."

"I can't. You brought me here."

"No I didn't."

"Green, don't do this. I need to talk to you. We've got to get some things straightened out."

"No. You're not here."

"Really? I was so sure I was... Darn. I guess I messed up. Where am I then?" She could hear the pout in his voice.

Jade's heart ached. It was such a silly thing to say, but she knew it really had to be him then. "What are you doing here, River?" She asked.

"You were talking about me today."

"So?"

"So I miss you and I wanted to see you."