Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

Blood pooled around Cassandra in the hole. She tried to make sense of what was happening. This was a bad idea. The fact was she'd been buried alive. The fact was she was extremely claustrophobic and quickly running out of air. And the fact was she was probably going to die in that hole.

She could hear her own pulse in her head. It wasn't beating right. She'd lost too much blood. She, the unstoppable slaying machine, had been defeated. She was trapped, there was no way out, and there was no air.

There was noise as the dirt above her moved. A hand reached through. "Cassandra! Are you okay?" A voice called.

Air, Cassandra thought. Sweet, glorious air. Freedom is near. Say something so he keeps digging. She struggled to speak but she couldn't form words and her throat was raw and dry.

"Please be alive," he mumbled. He almost had her completely uncovered now. He reached into the shallow grave and lifted her out.

She had lost too much blood. She felt weak as she gazed into his eyes. Kurt, she registered. Kurt just saved my life.

"Come on, Cass... Don't die on me. You're stronger than that." His eyes were filled with so much concern for her. He placed his hands over her heart and did his best to heal her. She was too far gone. "Cassie... Please don't die."

She didn't want to die. Cassandra was no quitter. "I can save you," Kurt said quietly. "You won't like the method, but I can. I don't want to do it without your permission."

She knew what he wanted to do. She wasn't thrilled, but she also knew it was her only chance. She nodded ever so slightly.

Kurt hesitated for only a moment before biting her over her heart. She winced but she couldn't do much more. "I love you," he whispered.

His words seemed odd to her, but she felt the truth in them. What alarmed her was the realization that in that moment, she shared the emotion. It must be the blood loss, she decided as she faded into unconsciousness.

~*~

Thomasina West had rotten luck. That is why it should have come as no surprise when the wereleopard she'd heard was roaming the streets of Salem mauling people every night appeared in front of her.

"Yep," she said. "Typical. Nice kitty? Good kitty?" She asked hopefully.

The leopard lunged at her. Tommi barely ducked out of the way in time to dodge the blow. The leopard was not phased. It tried again. Again, it narrowly missed her. She knew she couldn't keep this up forever. She needed a plan or help, and fast.

"Bad kitty! Definitely not of the nice variety..." She desperately searched for a possible weapon to defend herself with.

The leopard lunged again. This time, Tommi pulled off one of her combat boots and threw it at the leopard's head. It didn't like that much. She threw the other one to see if that might slow it down. It simply ran at her quicker. She grabbed her bookbag and tossed it at the leopard. It stopped for a second before recovering and growling. Tommi was screwed and she knew it.

"Tommi!" A voice shouted. "Get the hell away from her!" A silver sword flew through the air and hit the leopard. The wound was shallow. Still, the leopard fled.

Jesse ran up to Tommi. "Are you hurt?" He asked her.

"Only my pride," Tommi replied. "And possibly my boots." She picked them up, dusted them off, and put them back on her feet.