Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Before Corey could bring her home, Jade had asked him not to. The pain in her eyes had made him listen, and he'd taken her to Gallows Hill Park instead. She'd wandered off the path, and he followed her. It had been hours. They were still sitting in one of the hidden parts of the park, not speaking, but not uncomfortable either. Jade stared at the stars, clearly trying to process things, while Corey held her hand.

When the power took out the only light they could see in the area, Jade sighed. "Oh, Shooter..." She whispered.

"Do you want to go check on him?" Corey asked.

"I might be the only one he doesn't electrocute to death," she replied.

"Okay. Let's go find him." He stood and offered her his hand. Jade took it and allowed him to help her get back on her feet.

"Corey..." She said softly.

"Yeah?"

She hesitated for a second before she leaned in and kissed him. It was quick and a little shy, which was not a word he'd normally associate with Jade Collins.

When she pulled away, she said, "Cierra's right. I'm in shock."

"I know," Corey replied.

"Thanks for staying with me. I didn't mean to keep you out all night."

"I'm a Slayer, Jade. I always stay out all night," he reminded her.

"Let's go find Shooter."

They walked for a while before they finally found him. He was kneeling on the ground and staring at his hands. They were randomly sparking, but Jade could tell it was just residual energy. It wouldn't hurt much if he misfired.

"Shooter..." Jade called gently. Corey kept a respectful distance as she approached him.

"Hey, Goth Chick," Shooter replied numbly.

"What do you need?" She asked.

"I need her."

"Okay."

"What?"

"My telepathy's fried, but the necromancy's up and running. I saw a bunch of spirits in Gallows Hill Park."

"Jade..."

"Let me do this for you, Shooter." She took a deep breath and mumbled a spell. Suddenly, Tammy manifested before them. She wasn't solid, but her spirit was visible.

"Oh, Shooter... Don't do this to yourself," Tammy said gently.

He looked at her with fresh tears in his eyes. "Tam..." He whispered.

"I'm sorry. I had to."

"Like hell. There had to be another way."

"There wasn't. Stop being stupid and think like a cop." She paused. "Jo warned me this was coming. She told me what I'd need to do, without coming right out and saying it... I'm sorry, Shooter. I didn't want to leave you, but it was my time. This was always how it was going to end."

Shooter started sobbing harder. His entire body trembled as he cried. Jade wrapped her arms around him.

"I love you," he told Tammy softly.

"I know. I love you, too. And don't worry... I'll be watching over your dumbass to keep you out of trouble." She smiled at him sadly. Then, she turned toward Corey. "Get them home," she said. "It's not safe out here."