Chapter Twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY

When Arthur opened the door and saw Kelly and Chad, he nearly slammed it shut. Then he remembered why he needed to do this. "Come on in," he said with a sigh.

      "The first thing I want to know is did anyone contact Lydia's uncle?" Kelly asked.

      "I assume the hospital did."

      "Let's hope he stays out of our way. Now... This is Lydia's file." She presented them with an enormous file of paperwork.

     "From the hospital? How the hell did you get that?"

     "I have ways, Arthur, and I work quickly. According to the shrink, Lydia's been having more visions than usual lately. He calls them delusions, but I think we all know Lydia has a powerful gift for prophecy, and insane or not, it's still fully functional. You would think the psych meds would block it, but they don't. Maybe they should try electroshock. Anyway, that's not the point... Maybe the hunters know Lydia has visions and they view her as a threat."

       "She's in a loony bin. No one would believe her if she told," Donnie pointed out.

       "Except maybe the other loonies," Ronnie added.

      "Have some respect!" Chad snapped. Everyone stared at him. "You don't know what put those people in that place... Stop making fun of them."

       "You alright there, Chad?" Arthur asked.

       "Forget it. Kelly, what else did you find out?"

       "Three weeks ago, Lydia predicted the end of the world," Kelly replied. "And it starts right here in Salem."

      "There's a shock," the twins replied in unison with identical eye rolls.

      "So it's the apocalypse? What else is new?" Arthur said. "Seriously, that's not a prediction... That's just a typical Friday night."

       "It's not just the apocalypse, Arthur," Kelly replied in a tone that made him stop making snarky comments. "There's a force rising... A powerful enemy who doesn't understand the danger she poses to the rest of us. A battle is coming, and we're all going to need to choose a side... And if we choose the wrong one, the results will be catastrophic."

      "Okay, I love drama as much as the next guy, but catastrophic? Isn't that a bit much?" Chad asked.

      "Lydia seems to believe if the wrong person wins this battle, everyone will be destroyed."

      "Alright... So Lydia made a really scary prediction, but only her therapist knows, right?" Jeremy asked.

       "It's possible someone else found out what she predicted," Arthur replied. "Lydia can be playing with dolls one second and spouting prophecies the next, and sometimes her tone of voice doesn't even change. She may have casually said something in front of the wrong person."

      "How are we supposed to find her?" Jeremy asked.

     "Is anyone here a scryer?" Arthur asked.

     "I know a spell for that," Chad replied. "I'd try a tracking spell, but I think her location's blocked. A scrying spell might at least be able to give us some clues."

    "Alright... Let's try it," Arthur reluctantly agreed. It wasn't like he had any better ideas.

"I need candles, a crystal ball or scrying mirror, and-"

"I don't own a scrying mirror or crystal ball, Chad. Neither do my parents."

"Ugh... Fine. We'll do this the peasant way. Get me a bowl of water."