Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

It was Cassandra who broke the silence. "How do you know?" She asked.

"I just do," Evan replied. "That really isn't important. Cierra's alive, but she's badly hurt and she has no idea what's happening to her. I think she might be stuck in leopard form."

"Aw, Cierra would make a cute kitty!" Melissa declared. "Crap, I said that aloud, too, huh? Not the point, Melissa. Moving on..."

"We'll find her," Arnie said. "Let's set up a search party and hit the wooded areas, anywhere she could be hiding."

"You would think people would notice a couple of giant leopards running around," Randy mumbled.

"Dude, this is Salem. Stranger things have happened," Dylan pointed out.

Alex was shaking. "Thank you," he said to Evan.

"Sure. I'm going to look for her. You guys can look wherever you think she might be. I'll see you later." Evan replied.

"Why are you splitting up from us?" Dylan asked.

"I work better alone."

"We're a team."

"Then be a team together. I'm more concerned with finding Cierra alive than with playing nice with others. If you'll excuse me..." He left them without another word.

~*~

He'd had to do it. If he stayed any longer and endured their questions, Evan might have shot someone. Jesse got on his last nerve and the others didn't understand him. He wouldn't have gone at all, but he'd figured out something too important to ignore. Alex had to know he was looking for a wereleopard and not his girlfriend or she might infect him when he found her.

He didn't fit in with them. He probably never would. He stuck around for Aideen. Sure, the others weren't so bad most of the time, with the exception of Jesse, but group activities weren't really his thing. He had been telling the truth when he said he worked better alone. Besides, he needed to be alone if he was going to use the special talent he needed to find Cierra.

Unfortunately, he wasn't alone for long. He spotted Aideen sitting under a tree in the Salem Commons and snuck up behind her, wrapping her in his arms. She relaxed immediately. She always did.

Her scent was addicting. She leaned against his chest and the coconut body wash and strawberry shampoo she used floated into his nostrils. She was so familiar. She was the only thing that made this place his home. "Hey, handsome," she said. "Did I miss anything?"

"Cierra's been infected," he replied. "They're looking for her."

"What? Shit! Oh Gods, I should have been there... Alex must be freaking out."

"He'll be okay. He's relieved she's alive. I think that's all that matters to him right now."

"Do you think she'll stay that way?"

"If we find her in time."

"We will. There's no way I'm letting Alex lose Cierra." Her mood shifted. Evan knew she was upset about something other than Alex and Cierra, something more personal.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Nope."

"Let's go track her down."

Aideen kissed him. Together, they headed away.

~*~

Melissa was patrolling the waterfront. She'd split up reluctantly from the others because someone had to patrol. This was her favorite spot to work. Something seemed off in the air that night, however, and soon she heard the sound of panting nearby.

"What the heck?" She wondered aloud.

Suddenly, she knew she was in trouble. She spotted a large cat of some sort. It looked like a leopard, and it was watching her. Melissa stood very still and prayed the creature would not attack her.

The leopard lunged at Melissa with such speed she had no time to react. It knocked her to the ground. She struggled to get away from it, but it tore into her shoulder.

Melissa screamed in agony. The beast ripped her flesh open as she continued to fight. You can't die here, she told herself. Not like this and not tonight.

"Shit! Do something!" A familiar voice shouted.

Aideen, Melissa realized. Aideen and Evan are here. You're saved. Just hold on a little bit longer.

Evan froze. He stared at the scene in horror. Then he pulled out his gun and fired three times into the beast's head. It blew apart all over Melissa. She would have been disgusted if she could think straight, but the pain was too severe and she had lost too much blood.

"We have to help her," Aideen said. "She's dying."

Evan knelt beside Melissa. He studied her and touched her wrist, checking her pulse. He took a deep breath. "She's been infected," he said, "and with these injuries, if she doesn't shift tonight, she won't survive."

"It's the cycle of the full moon," Aideen replied. "Shouldn't she shift automatically?"

"She's too weak. Her injuries are severe."

"Evan, you're a doctor. Do something! Save her!"

Evan looked from Melissa to Aideen and back again. "Stand back," he told Aideen.

"What?"

"Just do it. Please. This is the only way I can save her."

Aideen took several steps backward. Evan closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and with so much grace it was nearly impossible to register, he shifted form into a leopard.