Nightly Walks - Yuuji Itadori

A small story about Yuuji, before he dived into the world of Jujutsu. Enjoy :j

. . . . . . . . . .

"AHHHHH!!!" Setsuko and Takeshi screamed the second you opened the door to the darkened club room. "Why are you screaming like that?" "Well... we thought you were a ghost coming to haunt us" The girl stuttered, adjusting her glasses when you turned the lights on to get a good look at them. 

They were huddled together around the table, a candle was propped up on it, slowly burning down the wax. A book was opened between them, you knew exactly what it was. "You think I was a ghost? Please? What ghost opens a door?" They shrugged and you went to sit beside them. 

"You really need to stop reading this in school. What if the headmaster came in and witnessed you two screaming?" Takeshi huffed and laid his head on the wooden furniture. "But it's fun reading these stories! You should know, you always join us!"

"Exactly," you pulled the book towards you and took it into your hands. "which is why I can't believe you started without me, your best storyteller!" You dramatically held a hand to your head, to show them how hurt you were. 

"Well, you're here now" Setsuko said, scooting closer to you after turning off the lights again. "So, you might as well continue where we left off" You grinned "Gladly." Taking a deep breath to build tension, you focused on the letters, trying to decipher them in the dim light of the candle. Just as you opened your mouth, the door opened and again, your two friends screamed their throats sore. 

You couldn't make out exactly who the person standing in the doorway was, because of the light coming from the hallway, but you were sure they were male. When they spoke you knew who it was. "Uhh, sorry?" 

Yuuji Itadori, a classmate of yours and a member of the occult club, turned the lights back on, just like you did a few minutes ago. The three of you who sat in the darkness just seconds ago squinted your eyes at him. 

You were the first to speak: "Hey Itadori. Nice to see you could make it" you smiled, which he returned. "Yeah, sorry I'm late. Teach wanted to talk" He moved to the table and sat down next to you. "No worries! Y/N just came a few seconds ago too!" the black-haired girl on your left explained while Takeshi nodded in agreement. 

"Oh! Alright then! What are we reading today?" You cleared your throat and began to explain: "Today's story is the tale of a ghost girl who haunts the school toilet. Hanako, that's her name, supposedly will grant you a wish, if you knock three times on the last stall of the girl's bathroom..." 

. . . . . 

 Club activities were finally over, and you were able to go home. After saying goodbye to the other members, you made your way to the school entrance, already getting out your phone, so you could listen to music. 

Arriving at home, you did your usual routine (changing, getting a snack etc.) and flopped down on your bed scrolling through your socials. After a while you got up and went to your desk to do your homework; as a responsible student should. 'Yeah, no. Mom would kill me if I didn't do it...'

 An hour later you were finished and headed to the kitchen for dinner. Your mom made Onigiri, and it was a rule for you to eat together. "How was your day Y/N?" You looked up from your plate, locking eyes with your mom. "Oh, you know. Normal. No big news, a few appointments for next week (yes, I already started with those) and my usual club activities. What about you?" 

"Well, work. And it's good to know you're so hard-working. I'm very proud of you" She gave you a sweet smile, and you returned it. "Thanks, mom." You stood up from the table and took both of your plates to put them in the sink. Then you moved to the stairs "Love you""Love you too, dear" 

. . . . . 

You were laying on your bed, sketchbook and pencil in hand, your bedside lamp was turned on and your clock read 1:23 AM. 'Great' You couldn't sleep. What a surprise! This wasn't new for you, because ever since you were 14 you had problems falling into the land of dreams. Sometimes you just couldn't fall asleep. You were, what they call, an insomniac. 

It didn't really affect you anymore since you got used to only 6 hours of sleep. That was thanks to high school. Usually, you would just read or sketch, but on that particular night, you felt you should go for a walk. So you pulled your favorite hoodie over your head, took your keys and a flashlight, and snuck out of the house. 

You walked around aimlessly, just trying to tire yourself out, so when you arrived at home,you'd fall asleep. It was quiet outside, only the chirping of the crickets and the wind rustling through the leaves could be heard. You liked it that way. It was the perfect environment for ghost hunting. But you weren't here for that. You just wanted to stride through the night. 

Eventually your feet took you to the playground near the hospital, where you spent a good portion of you childhood playing with your friends. You sat don on the swing and swung around a bit, careful not to make a sound. The swings were very old, therefore rusty. You regretted not taking any earplugs with you, since you could have listened to music. 

"Oh, well. Next time maybe" "Next time? Do you come here often?" You jumped, startled by the voice coming from your left. It belonged to none other than your friend Yuuji Itadori. "Oh, Itadori... You here? I didn't expect that" 

"Oh please. Drop the last name. Yuuji is just fine" he sat down on the swing next to you, joining you in your swaying. For a while he didn't say anything, just staring at the sky.

"Why are you here?" "Probably the same reason as you. I couldn't sleep" he glanced at you and smiled. You smiled back. "Yeah, you're right" Yuuji hummed and stood up form the swing, you followed, not wanting him to leave yet. 

"Do you often come here?" he asked again, making his way towards the monkey bars and climbing up on them. Then he sat down, looking at you. "Nope. My feet just dragged me here tonight. I usually stay inside too" You smiled, leaning on the structure. 

"Weird" "Why?" "Because it was the same for me." Your mouth formed an 'o' shape and Yuuji softly chuckled, a sound you wouldn't forget too fast. "Guess it was fate then" 

"Yeah, maybe..." The two of you sat/stood in silence, enjoying each other's presence, and taking in the beautiful night sky. The playground wasn't lit up by streetlamps and was located in a park, which made it easy to see the stars. Luckily, there were seemingly no clouds present too. 

"Do you have any idea how late it is?" you spoke up after a while, making Yuuji jump a little, and you chuckled. "Don't laugh" he rubbed his neck, and his cheeks were tinted in a soft pink, which you could barely make out through the light of the flashlight in your hands. "I'm not." 

"And to answer your question: I don't know. And honestly, I don't care" you hummed in agreement, not expecting him to continue. He did though: "I like hanging out with you... just you. It calms me down. And, um..." he trailed off, but you got what he wanted to say.

"Hey, me too" you smiled up at him and he smiled back.