Ch15

Lucy's knees went weak.
She did as she was told and she was, in fact, shorter than Mina. Mina laughed 'told you so' and hugged Lucy in an attempt to make her feel better.
"So perhaps I am of a slightly shorter stature than you." Lucy grumbled. She was still the girl who despised being bested. Yet here is Mina Murray, the only person who can ever have Lucy admit when she has been. "What if it?"
Mina laughed. "You're just...really cute, Lucy. Really, really cute." Lucy flushed. She was one to blush quite easily when it came to Mina.
"Is that a good thing? A bad thing?" Lucy asked. The alcohol was fogging her thinking but she didn't care.
Mina held Lucy tighter as reassurance. "It's a good thing." she whispered. "Hey, can I brush your hair later? Before we let sleep take us."
Lucy found it an odd thing to ask, but agreed. "Why not now? I haven't done anything with my hair for a while so the knotting may be horrendous." Lucy laughed nervously.
"Oh, of course then!" Mina agreed with a smile. "The brush here on the vanity?" Lucy nodded and Mina sat on the bed. "Come to me. Come Lucy!"
Lucy did as she was told and kneeled down, facing away from Mina. "Be—be gentle..." she whispered, embarrassed.
"I'll try, Luce. When was the last time you ran a comb through here?" Mina asked, petting Lucy's hair. Running her fingers through her locks, Mina's hand's got caught in blond tangles nearly immediately.
Lucy looked back, eyes wide in embarrassment. "A fortnight, maybe?"
"Lucy, really." Mina scolded. "You must take care of yourself! You mustn't neglect self care!" She sighed, "This—this may hurt. I'll try my best to minimize pain, but I'm afraid I cannot promise anything." Mina promised before running the brush through Lucy's hair. It got caught in knots immediately.
"Mina! Ow!" Lucy cried playfully. "Must you be so rough?"
"Shh, you're okay." Mina soothed, rubbing Lucy's shoulder affectionately. Running the brush through the blond locks, Mina tried her very best not to bring unnecessary pain to Lucy. Occasionally, Lucy let out a cry but Mina soothed her quietly.
"Must we do this? I can do it myself at a later time!" Lucy protested.
Mina rolled her eyes in a playful manner. "No, you won't. You're doing so well, Luce. Just a little longer, love."
"Love?" Lucy asked, turning to face Mina. "New nickname? Actually, the only nickname I've ever seen you use for me; if only this once."
Mina laughed lightly at her comment. "It's just my karma for making fun of you calling me 'baby'."
"Serves you right!" Lucy sneered. "Can we brush my hair another time? Please Mina?"
"No." Mina said flatly. "Before you pout and ask me why, it is because I know you won't brush it yourself. You're stubborn that way."
Lucy then pouted, against Mina's word, and continued to complain about the situation. "Mina please no..." Lucy mumbled. "I don't—"
Mina hushed her by stroking her head. "You're doing so well, Lucy. You need to comb your hair more often; then we avoid this. Understand?"
Lucy nodded, wincing as Mina's brush got caught in more knots. "Yes Mina."
"There's a good girl." Mina purred, almost mocking Lucy; knowing she had a strange fondness for praise.
As the evening dragged along, so did the brush through Lucy's matted hair. Every whimper and whine that came from Lucy was met with assurance and praise from Mina. When Mina finally finished brushing Lucy's hair, Lucy was just on edge of sleep. Though the beginning was painful, the middle and end of Mina brushing her hair seemed to positively stimulate Lucy.
"Lucy dear? Have you fallen asleep on me?" Mina asked softly. Lucy and Mina had moved to a position where Lucy's head laid in Mina's lap, and Lucy seemed to be snoring ever so softly.
Lucy stirred slightly, shaking off sleep. She shot up as she realized she had fallen asleep on her friend's thighs. "Mina? Oh, I'm so sorry, darling. I had no intention of making you uncomfortable."
Mina just looked at her friend. A feeling of emptiness overtook where Lucy's head, moments ago, laid. "I'm not uncomfortable, nor did you make me. What makes you think such things?"
"You're red." Lucy pointed out nonchalantly. "Very red."
Mina covered her face with her hands, panicked. "Fibber. I am not."
"Bollocks. Yes you are. Why hide it?" Lucy chuckled. "Mina darling, you're blushing like a schoolgirl! You're not in love with me, are you?" Lucy joked, a smile spreading across her features. "Well even if you were, I'd have to say that I am with you."
Lucy expected a flustered response or something to play along with her banter. Instead, Mina went silent and fumbled with her hands. "Really." she breathed. "One mustn't say such things if one doesn't mean such things."
"Mina?" Lucy's Voice became small. Sitting herself closer she asked, "Mina darling, what's wrong? Why say that?"
Mina looked up, a frightened light in her eyes. "You heard that?"
"Yes. You must know you are terrible at being quiet." Lucy teased. "Did something happen? With Jonathan?" Her voice was serious.
Mina looked at the ground. "With me." she mumbled. "And you."
"Me?" Lucy looked astounded. Mina nodded. "What have I done? Can you tell me, Mina? What have I done?" Mina shook her head, eyes growing moist. Lucy took a moment before speaking again. "If you do not wish to answer now, perhaps later. I'll ask you again in the new morrow. Lie down and we'll sleep. You'll feel better after you get some rest. How do you feel about that, Mina?"
Mina nodded, lying herself down and allowing Lucy to adjust the blankets and pillows around her. Lucy made sure Mina was as comfortable as possible, asking her questions every so often. The two said their good nights and Lucy blew out the lights.
"Goodnight darling."
"Goodnight, love." Mina whispered, closing the little distance between her and Lucy. Moving herself closer to the girl she loved.