Ch20

"Yes, my lady." Catherine spoke in only a whisper. She feared how Lucy would react. "You."
    "Then who—" Lucy cut off, hoping Catherine would understand. Who was she supposed to be in love with? Mina? No. She couldn't. She couldn't be that transparent.
    Catherine shifted, unsure. "Miss Murray. I'm my eyes, you seem to be quite smitten with her." Catherine mumbled. "I see the way you look at her and I see the way she looks at you. Yet both are blind to it. Do you believe that old wives tale when your ears ring or when you sneeze when someone gushes about you. You must give each other migraines and cause each other colds. Do you notice how she worries about you? Does she know about how you care for her? Do you see how she looks at you? Does she see how you look at her? Everyone else can. We're just waiting for you."
    Lucy stumbled back in shock. "That was—"
    "Out of line. I'm sorry miss. I apologize." Catherine bowed yet again. Her tone was frantic.
    "Poetic." Lucy corrected her. "That was beautiful. Too bad it isn't true." she chuckled. "I am not in love with Mina." 'I don't think.' her thoughts finished. Lucy scrambled to find excuses as to how she's not in love with her best friend. She came up with nothing.
    Catherine wished to object, but she knew she couldn't. As a maid, it was against nearly everything how informally she was speaking to her lady. She wished to point out all of the signs of love her lady displayed towards her friend. She wished to have those signs directed to her, however, they were not. "Right. Miss, you should go back to your chamber. It's quite late. Shall I escort you?"
    Lucy felt a hit of disappointment in her stomach as Catherine cut the conversation. "Right. I can make it myself, thank you Catherine. Good night."
    "Good night, my lady. Rest well." 

____________________

    "Lucy? Where did you go? Sleep walking again?" Mina asked as Lucy slipped back into her room.
    Lucy nodded with a soft laugh. "Why are you up? I don't believe I was loud enough to wake you."
    "I heard you talking." Mina pointed out. "With Catherine. What about?"
     She didn't want to tell Mina of her conversation with Catherine. At least not yet. "Oh nothing. Just about my sleepwalking habit. Maybe you should watch after me better. I don't mean anything queer of it," she giggled. "I just don't think my little sleepwalking problem is entirely solved. Perhaps you should keep an eye on me so I don't go wandering again." She smiled as she moved stray hair from her face.
    "Remember Whitby? You were writing a journal, I believe. You read me some diary entries that concerned me. I specifically remember you reading to me about when I had gone walking into the churchyard in my night-dress." Her voice lowered as she added the next part. "You paused and seemed to skip a part of the entry but no matter." her voice rose back to its previous volume. "What if that was to happen again? I would have anything but you searching after me again like you did that night. I still think you should've taken your shoes back." she added.
"Lucy, my dear," Mina replied as Lucy sat next to her on the edge of the bed. "You know I want to make you feel safer, so you needn't worry. But people will get suspicious. Not to include how many nights I've spent here with you. "
"They didn't get suspicious before." Lucy said softly. Her voice was as soft as her hair, as soft as the pink of her dress, as soft as the pale skin under it...Mina's thoughts went to intriguing places.
"Mina darling? What do you say?" A half smile spread across her face, her eyes illuminated. Mina's cheek glowed a rose hue. She was sure Lucy knew about where her mind wandered when Mina had her alone. She smiled back; looking back at her with those eyes, Mina couldn't very well refuse Lucy.
"Of course. I shall stay with you for as long as you need." Lucy's hand was sprawled out across the bed sheets, with her neat fingernails clipped short. Mina knew Lucy was fond of her holding her hand in hers, but not so much as to spread redness over her cheeks.
"Whatever will you tell your suitors?' Lucy asked playfully, looking from her hand to Mina.
"I don't have any of those, I'm afraid," Mina told her. "Besides you."
"There's Jonathan–"
"Who is out, may I remind you." Mina interrupted. "Out for good."
Mina leaned in next to Lucy and rested her head on her shoulder. She watched as Lucy picked up her hand in hers and sat them on her lap. Lucy's fingers danced across the back of her hand, brushing gently.
"I rather enjoyed our evening together, darling." she told Mina. "I love the square. I love being in the city with you. I think–"
"Lucy," Mina whispered into the soft skin of her neck, cutting her off for a moment.
"I think I just love being with you." Mina felt Lucy's fingers running through the ends of her hair when she pressed her lips to her neck. Lucy gasped, heightening herself in shock.
"Mina, you know I–I adore this, but we really must sleep." Mina pulled away from her at once. 'Of course. What an idiot she'd been.'
"I don't think Jonathan would approve of you kissing me like that," Lucy told her.
"I doubt it. Yet, may I remind you, I am no longer with him." Lucy tilted her head slightly to the side and gave Mina a quizzical look. "Lucy? My dear, what are you thinking?"
Lucy's eye's seemed focused on something in a realm Mina couldn't see. Lucy's mind was drawn back to her conversation with Catherine. Perhaps she was in love with Mina. Further yet, her mind went to the points Catherine made about Mina. Specifically, how she seemed to reciprocate romantic feelings. 'If I even have any of the sort in the first place.' Lucy thought. Even with all her evidence, still, Lucy denied having those types of feelings for her best friend. "Nothing," she lied. "Just tired, I suppose."
Mina hummed. "Right then, let's get you asleep. Lie down, and I'll be here to make sure you don't go anywhere." Mina jokes.
"Better be." Lucy chuckles with an eye roll.
Mina hesitated as Lucy stood up. Her hand squeezed Lucy's softly, following hers as she got up. Their hands fell for a moment before Lucy had taken hers again when she had reached her side of the bed.
"Mina darling, what's wrong?" Lucy asked, setting herself down on the bed while interlacing her fingers with Mina's. "Something weighing your mind?"
"I love you, Lucy."
Lucy was quiet for a moment. Fear swept over Mina, worrying she'd ruined things with a mere three words.
"Thief."
Mina jolted in surprise. "What?"
"It appears you've stolen my heart." came Lucy's whispered response. "That makes you a thief. My darling."
"Saccharine." Mina giggled. "Now sleep!"
"Next to a thief?" Lucy jested, wishing to continue their banter. "You've taken my heart, whatever would happen if you tried to take me?"
Mina scoffed. "Shut up, Luce."