Ch10

"Lucy, I'm going out to see Alexander." Mina called before heading to the door.
"Whatever for?" Lucy asked, rushing down the stairs to meet Mina at the door. "Did something happen with classes or something at your fathers hospital?"
Mina laughed softly. Lucy always seemed so concerned for her. Perhaps it was just that Lucy had a heart of gold and it sat heavy in her chest. "Oh, it's nothing, don't fret. I'm just going to see him about Jonathan."
The energy around Lucy changed from concerned to heavy confusion. "What would Alexander Grayson have to do with Jonathan?"
Alexander may be Jonathan's employer or boss, but the two didn't seem friends. Alexander, from what Lucy gathered when she met him, was sophisticated, polite and outwardly charming, but Lucy always felt as if there was something more underneath. Alexander and Mina had been seeing each other for tea and chats quite often by now, but Lucy still found it strange that Mina would go to him about Jonathan.
Mina's face fell into one of mild distress. "Jonathan walked out on our date. We'd had it planned for quite a while now since neither of our schedules matched up." Mina said quietly. "I was really looking forward to it..."
Lucy stepped forward and embraced her friend. "It's alright, I'm sure he'll come round." Lucy assured. "Are you going to see if Alexander can bring him round faster?"
Mina nodded. "I won't be gone a terribly long time, just to tell Alexander what happened."
"What if Mr Grayson can't?" Lucy asked. It was more a hypothetical question but it seemed to spark something in Mina.
"Then," she said. "Then because of schedules, I won't be able to see him for another two months roughly. Jonathan's always seems too busy for me..."
Lucy looks mortified. "Too busy for you?" She repeated. "How could some stuck up man who claims to be in love with you, be too busy for you? Why, if I were to be married to you, I'd clear my schedule whenever you desired. Anyone who loves you should make time for you, romantic or otherwise." Lucy told the brunette. "Mina darling, you must learn how much you are worth and never accept anything less than."
Mina seemed to cower away. "It's not that easy Lucy." Mina whispered, her voice shaky.
"Trust me, darling, I know it's not." Lucy assured. "Come here, before you go out." Lucy extended her arms and Mina rushed into the embrace. She seemed to be crying without tears.
"What am I to do?" Mina cried. "Lucy, Jonathan is–he is a decent man!"
"Decent is not good. Decent is not fine. Decent is not–it is not Captain Westenra..." Lucy added under her breath, turned away from Mina so she would not hear.
Mina gently cupped Lucy's cheeks and turned her to face her. She had a look of confusion across her features. " Lucy, you must stop speaking under your breath for I cannot understand you, dearest." Lucy's cheeks flushed, adding to the warmth from Mina's hands.
"Nothing. It doesn't matter. Not anymore." Lucy mumbled, pulling away from the embrace. "Go now, you said you needed to see Mr Grayson, didn't you? Best not be late." Lucy chimed in a false, cheery tone.
"Lucy–" Mina was cut off.
"Mina, go."

____________________

"Alexander, I fear the worst!" Mina sobbed, hands covering her crying features. "Does she hate me? What of Jonathan? Why would he just walk out like that? He knows Lucy can go quite far with her jokes, but he's been through much worse!"
"Oh my fair Mina..." Alexander soothed. "You have spoken of so much. May I ask what the heaviest thing is weighing your mind?"
"Lucy!" Mina shot back. Immediately she slapped a hand over her mouth. "Alexander, I'm so sorry!"
Alexander shook his head. "You are upset. I would expect no less than bursts of emotions." he assured, calming Mina. "Now, what is it about Miss Westenra that has your mind?"
Mina smiled almost sarcastically. Something she so rarely did. "Isn't it obvious?"
"No." Alexander replied cooley. "Elaborate."
Mina hesitated. "I just feel as if I messed something up in our relationship. I know I did when I proposed to Jonathan. You should have seen her! She seemed so distressed! It hurt me to know that what I had done had hurt her." Mina admitted.
Lucy was none too pleased when Mina told her about her engagement. Of course, Lucy tried to be happy for her friend, but she knew that after Mina and Jonathan got married, nothing would be the same. Some man was taking Mina away from her and she would do everything in her power to prevent it. But she didn't. Mina would hate her if she broke them up. So Lucy hid her feelings and suffered with the knowledge that her entire world would fall apart as her best friend's wedding day grew closer.
"And the kiss!!" Mina cried once again. "Should I have done it? She asked me, not the other way around! But I'm engaged! She's a woman!"
"Fair Mina." Alexander interrupted her. "I have only a few questions that may solve all that has thrown your mind into worry."
Mina nodded eagerly. "Please ask!" Hope bloomed in her eyes and a sparkle hung in her energy.
"Did you willingly kiss Lucy? Did you enjoy the kiss? Or in other words, was Lucy a good kisser? How are your feelings around Lucy? Around Jonathan? If this—Captain Westenra—were to be real, would you choose him over Jonathan?" Alexander questioned, leaning forward awaiting Mina's response.
Mina thought for a moment. Her face puzzled in concentration. "Yes, I willingly kissed Lucy. After all, she asked me to kiss her." Mina paused before answering the second question Alexander asked. "Lucy was a phenomenal kisser. My feelings around Lucy versus my feelings around Jonathan are very different. I would assume that's normal. Being on edge with the person you're in love with and being completely open with one's best friend."
"Mm." Alexander hummed. "That's not actually—"
"If Capitan Westenra was true, oh how I'd become Mrs Westenra the chance I got. I would choose that fine Captain over any man in all of London. Oh to have that fine suitor be mine. No one can compete with my Captain. With charms for days and looks for even longer; no one can match her."
"Her? Lucy Westenra?" Alexander was quick to ask. "I thought Captain Westenra was simply a character played by Lucy."
"He—he is!" Mina defended. What Alexander pointed out, it made Mina doubt herself. Her doubt only worsened with what Alexander said next.
"But you said 'her'. It's as if Captain Westenra and Lucy are one in the same to you. Perhaps they are."